Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   What's On Television? (http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/29-whats-television/)
-   -   Fringe (Fox, A Channel) (http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/29-whats-television/91871-fringe-fox-channel.html)

99gecko 2008-09-10 12:00 AM

Fringe (Fox, A Channel)

On FOX in the US, and CTV and A-Channels in Canada.

Not a bad series opener. The opening scene was one of the most intense opening scenes that I can remember. JJ Abrams (Lost, Alias) is involved with this show so I'm not surprised.

Verily, this show is eerily reminiscent of The Twilight Zone and X-Files. I hope it can carve it's own identity and niche. If it can do that, it has a chance.

MAXAM 2008-09-10 12:51 AM

I agree that it got off to a good start with quite a few creepy moments. I just hope it doesn't get too unbelievable which often occurs when a series goes too long and the writers start running out of fresh ideas.

Larry 2008-09-10 12:59 AM

SPOILER

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXAM (Post 792948)
I agree that it got off to a good start with quite a few creepy moments. I just hope it doesn't get too unbelievable which often occurs when a series goes too long and the writers start running out of fresh ideas.

SPOILER WARNING

Unlike the unbelievable stuff that happened in the first episode? All too convenient. Find the scientist - lab left practically untouched after 17 years (dust?). Gets the equipment and materials he needs in less than a day. Gets a cow that he doesn't use? Sticks metal probes into the lovely FBI agent (how and when did he make those?). They find the guy in an hour - gets him to spill his guts by whacking his hand...

Sure hope it doesn't get more unbelievable than this.

Overall I liked it, but it wrapped up a little to easily.

MAXAM 2008-09-10 02:24 AM

You raise some valid points:
e.g. how did they get the lab up and running in such a short time? Maybe they got several teams of Molly Maids to clean it up after 17 years of neglect?

stampeder 2008-09-10 02:32 AM

Washed out black levels?

I recorded/watched it OTA from CIVT-DT Vancouver (CTV HD) so the picture clarity was the best a consumer can get as usual, but sadly the black levels were terribly washed out. Anyone see that on other providers? Its not a Vancouver CTV OTA problem because all other programming is excellent.

Now we're all going to be stuck watching the rest of the series in crappy SD on A Channel! :mad:

jem 2008-09-10 09:19 AM

I found the 3-D location names got really annoying very quickly. And I didn't mind seeing Toronto standing in for Boston (really, do they have Loblaws in Boston? haha)

rgto 2008-09-10 10:41 AM

One of the best series openers I've seen in a while. I haven't been this excited about a show since the series opener of Heroes. I can't wait for next week.

Some of the great one liners:
"Transparent skin is not good."
"Let's make some LSD."

MAXAM 2008-09-10 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampeder
Now we're all going to be stuck watching the rest of the series in crappy SD on A Channel!

Wouldn't that be good, then we could see it on the Seattle Fox station because our local A Channel has not gone HD (yet)?

nfitz 2008-09-10 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXAM (Post 793083)
Wouldn't that be good, then we could see it on the Seattle Fox station because our local A Channel has not gone HD (yet)?

Same deal here in Toronto, watching Buffalo because our A Channel also hasn't upgraded. Picture never seems as good (must be all the sub-channels they have there). And often there is a lot of digital noise, especially during bad weather.

james57 2008-09-10 11:03 AM

Loved the opening episode.. comments:

. the transition from the mental institute to be a fully functionning scientist was way to short to be credible.
. some camera pan made me dizzy
. getting the lab ramped-up in what 5 min .. cmon..
. the son is now fully converted, that not very realistic

But pic was great, HD pretty impressive.. can't wait for next week. I think we have a winner.

rgto 2008-09-10 11:16 AM

A good dose of suspension of belief required before watching. :)

MAXAM 2008-09-10 11:25 AM

jem
."And I didn't mind seeing Toronto standing in for Boston (really, do they have Loblaws in Boston? ha,ha")

According to IMDB, the pilot episode was shot in Toronto but future episodes were shot in New York.

Larry 2008-09-10 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgto (Post 793098)
A good dose of suspension of belief required before watching. :)

I won't mind suspending my belief for weird science stuff (like mind melding, transluent skin), but I have a hard time accepting "everyday" stuff that doesn't make sense. Like after being thrown 30 meters by a blast and hiting a dumpster and walking away with only a scratch on your forehead just hours later -- no, this is not right. If she had teleported away just before the blast hit her - I'd be ok with that.

Lindsay649 2008-09-10 12:13 PM

Sorry but was really disappointed.....guess I just believed the hype. Not on my preferred list......it should last a few more episodes before Fox pulls the plug.

hockeymancw 2008-09-10 12:20 PM

I didn't like it either. Everything just moved too fast, like the scientist was in the nut house and within a few hours he is talking normal and his lab is back up and running. I didn't even finish the first episode. That being said, I like the idea behind this show and will probably try to watch a regular episode (not the pilot) to see if it is better now that we know who the characters are.