Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bell TV Retentions?

347K views 797 replies 276 participants last post by  dganz1 
#1 ·
I posted my first post in the wrong forum. I think it's more appopriate to post here instead. Well, we have been with Expressvu since like 1998. We are probably their first couple hundred customers. I still remember when they have an XPRS channel advertising how they are gaining customers and the start package was $8.95. Anyways, what I was wondering if I try to cancel will they try to keep me as a customer? I might be switching to Rogers digital cable because their Chinese channels are $5 cheaper.

#2 ·
A friend of mine recently cancelled his ExpressVu service, and he borrowed a set of rabbit ears from me so he could get some local stations. The very next day, ExpressVu called him and offered six months at $10 a month if he came back. The rabbit ears never got used. He didn't seem to loose any of his bundled discounts, either.

#4 ·
Rogers probably has much more selection in chinese programming (as with all thing multicultural at Rogers). There are at least 30 channels Rogers has in this space that Bell doesn't offer. If Bell doesn't carry the channels you want, this is definitely a deal breaker.

Rogers also has significant chinese content On Demand including TVB weekly series.

However on pricing, more or less, Rogers and Bell are competitive. Just be sure you are in an area in Ontario which offers the channels you are seeking. As a new Rogers customers, leaving Bell, there may be some very deep discounts for an initial period as well.

But the channels are the thing, I would think, if it's chinese channels you are looking for.

#5 ·
If you try to cancel your service they will transfer you call to retention agent (they call it loyalty for the client). That will try to make you an offer to make you stay. They will ask you why you want to leave and try to give you something to solve that. If it's due to availability of certain channels they will most probably try a month free, then 2, then 3.

They might also use 10% off for 3-6-12 months

#7 ·
I was offered a 12 month free rental on a 9200, and $10.00/discount for 12 months to stay after being a customer for 9 years when I called in to 'ditch my dish'.

As of April 1st BEV would have been increasing my grandfathered Legacy package by $5.00/mo under the "Locals" portion.

If I were to come back after discontinuing my service, there would be a $50.00 reconnection charge, so the net cash savings would be $10.00 plus the value of the freebie HD PVR rental for 12 months.

After declining their offer, I received a call from another Retention Agent who asked for some specifics as to why I cancelled. When the issues were identified as nothing they could resolve, he left it alone, after making 3 good attempts to convince me otherwise.

#8 ·
Or you could come back signing a new client's agreement with 6 months at half price and free install if you've been gone for more than 6 months...if you sign a 2 years contract

#10 ·
I Have been with BEV for years, Was going to go with rogers and take there ditch the dish offer. But in the long haul it would be more money for me to get most of the HD channels.(must buy the vip package $56 or so then another $7 or $8 for there hd extras package. I only get the digital standard package with BEV. They gave me a 6100 HD reciever no charge for a year and 6 months of there HD package free. Not sure if this was the standard deal or not, but I took it and had to accept a one year contract( was month to month). I love the HD, Hope BEV adds more !

#11 ·
I recently spoke with Retentions as my contract was ending in 1 week. ROgers was offering 2 free hd pvrs if i trade in my equipment.

So i called in to retentions, told them the deal, end result. A free HD PVR for 12 months. I'm happy. We'll worry about the 2nd free year next year.

The way i figure it, do they wanna lose $70 a month from me or comp a $20 receiver. All business sense would say the latter.

#12 ·
The way i figure it, do they wanna lose $70 a month from me or comp a $20 receiver. All business sense would say the latter.
It depends a little on the margins, doesn't it? If your contract at work is up for renewal and you wanted $45k/yr, would you happily accept $35k/yr to keep your boss happy?

Deals are great to get, don't get me wrong. But I sometimes worry about the folks always expecting a "sweetheart deal" and prepared to switch every year or two to another provider as a "new customer". The main issue is getting good value for what you do purchase. Your mileage may vary.

#16 ·
My mother who has Videotron was price increased lately, I think that the increase was less then the BEV price of 4$. Rogers according to one of the notes posted on the site got price increased too and Cogeco as I could see in the Cogeco forum got preice increased too.

Woudn't that makes most of the major TV provider?

#17 ·
Retentions Dept.

What's a brother gotta do to get a deal?
My rental contract expires next month and with it, so do my promotional discounts ($10 off, $2.50 4100s and free mag - woohoo). I have called twice to let Bell know that I'll be returning all of my rental equipment at the end of my contract ("how do I return it?") and no one seems to be picking up that I'm threatening to end my subscription.

All I want is a deal! What is the key phrase to get them to offer me something to stay? My father-in-law would say "what will you give me to stay with Bell?" If that's what it takes, I'll give it a try.

#18 ·
Companies such as Bell don't make a lot of money off of most customers.

Typically 20% of the customers provide 80% of the profits. I don't know what the %'s are for Bell ExpressVu but I'll bet that those %'s are close to being true across all Bell products.

Unless you are bringing Bell in a lot of money (and profits) each month, they may feel that its not worth offering you any deal to stay.

For example: If you are signed up for a Bell Bundle (voice, data, wireless and video) or your ExpressVU bill is north of $100 a month then you might have a shot at getting a sweeter deal but if you're not then ,you are probably not a very profitable customers for them and unlikely to get any special offer.

#21 ·
Simply say you want to disconnect...and want to be transferred to the disconnection departement

No matter how much you spent on a monthly basis they will make you an offer

#22 ·
Hahaha
Stories like this make me laugh
You have been getting a deal for 2 years already
How about pay regular price for a while, then ask for a discount?
What sort of deal were you looking for?
The problem with giving new customers a "special" rate to sign up, is once they start paying the "regular" rate, that the rest of us schmucks pay, it seems like too much money
Just tell them you want to be put through to the cancellation dept
They may send you to the retention dept, or they may call your bluff (they have spies on here ya know)
The will get you to send the boxes back via purolater i believe
Good luck with the deal, and let us know if you win
Maybe I will try and get a deal too

#23 ·
One thing I will say about CRTC regulation regarding retention incentives:

If you're trying to see what kind of deal they'll offer you as opposed to the competition, it's fine to say you're thinking about another company, but do not say you already have an appointment with another provider. Doing so legally obligates the company to terminate your service and offer you no deals. I've heard people say "I already have an appointment with company abc, now give me a reason to cancel it", which is the worst thing you can possibly say if you want a deal.

#25 · (Edited)
When a client says that he has an appointement with another compagny, the client still have the 30 days notice to give...and we will still try to give him a retention offer that will satisfy him and make him stay. An appoitement is always cancellable...
This is illegal. The CRTC states that if a provider is told that a customer has an appointment with another provider, you are not allowed to offer any incentives to change their mind, or otherwise interfere with that appointment.

#26 ·
This is illegal. The CRTC states that if a provider is told that a customer has an appointment with another provider, you are not allowed to offer any incentives to change their mind, or otherwise interfere with that appointment.
This is only true of telephone service. Television, and internet services are not regulated in this way.

Nem, who is too tired for a witty comment

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.