Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   What's On In Sports? (http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/160-whats-sports/)
-   -   Setanta in Canada (General Discussion) (http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/160-whats-sports/43103-setanta-canada-general-discussion.html)

TurboTropic 2006-06-05 09:18 AM

Setanta in Canada (General Discussion)

My gf's father is a huge gaelic football (GAA) fan. He heard from one of his friends that you can now get in-home Setanta in Canada. I looked on the website but from what I can see only US DirectTV subscribers can get it.

Does anyone know any different? Thanks.

Paulo 2006-06-05 12:34 PM

Yes you are correct, Setanta is a provider of sports for the US. satelites Direct TV & Dishnetwork. I do not believe you will get that provider here in Canada.

If he is worried about getting the World Cup matches, both BEV & Rogers will be covering all games on Sporstsnet & TSN.

TurboTropic 2006-06-05 02:21 PM

Hmmm...I see my post got moved to the FTA board. I'm assuming because of my statement about DirectTV.

Thanks for the reply. BTW, he's looking for gaelic football, not soccer.

tdti1 2006-06-05 02:49 PM

I have not found a feed in a while, I think they encrypt there feeds now.

I think Gloabcast carries it.

jayme1009 2006-06-06 10:50 AM

They do offer a boradband channel that you can get in canada.

jag 2006-07-20 09:06 AM

Telelatino have been granted a license by the CRTC for a new sports channel called “RCS”. This apparently stands for “Rugby, Cricket and Soccer”.

You can check out this link:

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/De...db2006-114.htm

The rumours are that RCS is the code name for Setanta Sports Canada. No info on a possibe launch date or programming yet.

scouser 2007-04-29 09:39 PM

SETANTA

I am interested in in knowing if anybody subscribes legally to Setanta from Canada either thru Globecast or ITVN. What i sthe picture quality/programming. Thanx

Ham.Clan 2007-04-30 07:20 AM

I'd be curious as well.
I got hooked on gaelic football when I was over in Ireland a few years ago and Setanta distributes it.
I would love to be able to follow Armagh again.

garethkeano 2007-07-17 01:50 PM

Setanta Sports in Canada But not on Videotron

Hello

I emailed Setanta and they said:
Quote:

We will have a channel launched in Canada by the start of the EPL season on Rogers and Bell Express. No announced date yet, but that is the best info I have right now.
When I asked about Videotron, they said no.

So anybody with Videotron or friends with Videoton, get emailing them, even if your friends dont want the channel.

kingb71 2007-07-17 08:09 PM

I have my doubts that BEV will add a channel that quickly. It took them over a year to add Goltv.

kpa1973 2007-07-18 11:32 AM

I really want that Setanta Channel on Videotron but there is no use in hounding Videotron until the announcement is made. Prior to then, this new Setanta Channel is just "pie in the sky".

Let's wait for the announcement and then bombard Videotron to get off their buts and include Setanta in their line up.

To be honest I'm a bit skeptical that this channel will be live for the start of the Premiership on any providers line up. We have less than 4 weeks to go we have not had any formal announcement. I'm hoping that the rumour that Setanta will flog the premiership rights back to Sportsnet for this season comes true.

Samsonite 2007-07-18 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpa1973 (Post 573809)
I really want that Setanta Channel on Videotron but there is no use in hounding Videotron until the announcement is made. Prior to then, this new Setanta Channel is just "pie in the sky".

Let's wait for the announcement and then bombard Videotron to get off their buts and include Setanta in their line up.

To be honest I'm a bit skeptical that this channel will be live for the start of the Premiership on any providers line up. We have less than 4 weeks to go we have not had any formal announcement. I'm hoping that the rumour that Setanta will flog the premiership rights back to Sportsnet for this season comes true.

I'm praying as well that Setanta sells the rights back to Sportsnet on Saturdays and maybe to FSWC for the mid-week games. If they launch on only Rogers and BEV that means its going to be one long winter for those like myself who don't have access to Rogers or BEV. I did e-mail Sentanta and got a response which stated they would be launching by Aug. 11 so I'm mentally preparing for no EPL this season.

SportsFan 2007-07-18 03:00 PM

Samsonite, you won't have to go without EPL. <i>The Score</i> will have one game per week. An announcement on the details of their coverage was supposed to be made early this week. We're waiting!

Setanta sounds pretty confident that they will launch in time for the start of the season. Maybe they'll pull it off.

kingb71 2007-07-18 07:56 PM

isn't the CRTC hearing regarding this channel only in late August?

Samsonite 2007-07-18 08:35 PM

I just don't think 1 EPL game a week will suffice when last year I could normally see 6 on an average round. Three games on Saturday morning on Sportsnet, 1 delayed game Saturday afternoon on FSWC, 1 live Sunday morning game on FSWC and 1 Monday afternoon game on FSWC.