Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   AM/ FM, Internet Radio and Music Industry (http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/26-am-fm-internet-radio-music-industry/)
-   -   Canadian Radio Broadcasters to Launch Radioplayer Streaming Service (http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/26-am-fm-internet-radio-music-industry/266089-canadian-radio-broadcasters-launch-radioplayer-streaming-service.html)

Dr.Dave 2016-09-28 12:43 PM

Canadian Radio Broadcasters to Launch Radioplayer Streaming Service

Canada’s Premier Radio Broadcasters Unite to Bring Listeners Top-Rated Digital Radio Streaming Service, Radioplayer

A free app is on the way that will give listeners from coast-to-coast access to nearly every style of music, news, talk, and entertainment content from close to 500 stations on any connected device, at any time of day, from anywhere.

Radioplayer, a UK based digital radio streaming service, has joined forces with Canada’s leading radio broadcasters to bring Canadians free, easily accessible digital radio on any connected device. Launching later this year, Radioplayer will allow Canadians immediate access to their favourite English and French entertainment, news, sports and talk radio stations powered by 15 Canadian radio broadcasters. Launch date to be announced in the coming weeks.

Listeners will be able to access live and past radio broadcasts across the country through Radioplayer’s browser-player, and on connected devices through the iOS or Android app, including integrations with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, Chromecast, and smartwatches. As the top-rated radio app in Europe, Radioplayer features the world’s best search and recommendation engine for radio, powered by the Radioplayer metadata platform.

Radioplayer provides the trusted simplicity of radio with all the benefits of digital. Users can move between stations, set favourites, listen to on-demand content, find location based programming, see what is trending, and more.

Radioplayer in Canada brings together the stations of Central Ontario Broadcasting, Clear Sky Radio, Cogeco, Corus, Durham Radio, Golden West, Harvard Broadcasting, Larche Communications, Newcap Radio, Pattison, Rogers, Rawlco Radio, RNC Media, Saskatoon Media Group, and Vista Radio.

See this related thread: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/26-a...rtnership.html.

CamDAB 2016-09-28 01:24 PM

Fascinating.

The holes with Southern Ontario Bell Media stations missing will be obvious to those who are familiar with this market.

Cameron

BGY11 2016-09-28 05:42 PM

How is this different from something like TuneIn Radio?

Sent from my SM-T817W using Tapatalk

Dr.Dave 2017-03-01 10:59 AM

Radioplayer Canada Launches Digital Radio App

The Radioplayer Canada streaming app launches today, putting more than 400 Canadian radio stations into the palm of your hand, including CBC and Radio-Canada. It was announced this morning that Canada's public broadcasters would join a consortium of private broadcasters participating in Radioplayer, which showcases the vast majority of Canadian stations, with more joining every week.

The free Radioplayer Canada app gives radio listeners access to nearly every style of music, news, talk, and entertainment content, in both official languages, on any connected device, at any time of day, from anywhere.

The free Radioplayer Canada app facilitates listener discovery of radio content through search and recommendations based on listening history, geographical location and crowd-sourced trending.

Listeners are able to access live and catch-up radio broadcasts across the country through Radioplayer Canada's browser-player, and on connected devices through the iOS or Android app, including integrations with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, Chromecast, and smartwatches.

Radioplayer Canada brings CBC/Radio-Canada together with the stations of Bayshore Broadcasting, Blackburn Radio, Blackgold Radio, Byrnes Communications, CAB-K Broadcasting, Central Ontario Broadcasting, Clear Sky Radio, Cogeco Media, Corus Entertainment, Durham Radio, Fabmar Communications, Golden West Broadcasting, Harvard Broadcasting, Larche Communications, Newcap Radio, Jim Pattison Broadcast Group, Rogers Media, Rawlco Radio, RNC Media, Saskatoon Media Group, Vista Radio, and Westman Communications Group, as well as the National Campus and Community Radio Association (NCRA/ANREC). For additional business opportunities, please visit www.radioplayer.ca.

Inglewood 2017-03-01 03:59 PM

I've been listening to a Vista owned station all day and after every song they are promoting this app - after reading the CBC article (at first I thought it was just another horrible Vista app) I thought I would download it to my iPhone.

I'm actually really impressed - basically has every radio station in Canada not owned by Bell on it. Sound quality is good as well using WiFi - I haven't tried using it off of WiFi yet.

Curious to see if sports are available on it (such as Blue Jay games on Fan 590).

faston 2017-03-01 05:39 PM

Is it available on Sonos?

ExDilbert 2017-03-01 06:55 PM

Don't know what the big deal is. All the local stations here have been available on my IP radio for years. It uses the Tunin radio service. Tunin apps are available for a lot more devices than this new service. This might be a ploy to lock people into a Canadian station only app or just a way to cut costs. I wish them luck with that. Tunin works very well and offers so much more variety for me to consider switching to some Canadian only service that doesn't support all my devices

Obed 2017-03-01 07:25 PM

I agree Tunein is excellent but not all these broadcasting groups are available on Tunein so there is a small value add with Radioplayer.

Personally I'm disappointed that Radioplayer would launch in Canada without including in the app the Radioplayer stations from the UK that enable their streams worldwide. So I guess I will keep using Tunein for them.

Paolo 2017-03-19 12:10 AM

I also concur. I don't see how different this app is compared to Tune In, or I Heart Radio. I have been using Tune In for Years, infact it was pre-installed on my BlackBerry Smart phone back in the day, It can tune practically Every major Toronto Radio station THAT I LIKE, It not just works for Canada but I've listened to stations in Europe and Africa on it. I also recently TRIED I Heart Radio, which is good, but it will never replace my TuneIn. I have heard commercials for RadioPlayer Canada all over the radio, so I went to the Google App store to check it out, I read some of the comments and it looks like it does NOT get every station despite what they are blabbing about that it does. This kind of contradicts what people want, so in that case, in the words of Dragons Den, I'm Out!

jflottawa 2017-05-16 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faston (Post 2888266)
Is it available on Sonos?

It is not available on Sonos.

DanJ69 2017-06-03 10:56 PM

Quote:

Curious to see if sports are available on it (such as Blue Jay games on Fan 590)
MLB doesn't allow streaming of any of their radio broadcasts, whether through apps like this or through station websites. They have a subscription service for online listening of games so they don't allow free competition. Sometimes I have stumbled on a station that carries the Jays that has the game on their web stream, but that's been rare and I'm sure they get a firm talking to if it's noticed.

Lee Anne 2017-06-10 04:49 PM

I like the app but the android version cuts out every few songs for about 10 seconds which is quite annoying, the iPad version does not