Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Speakout Experience?

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  nbl957 
#1 ·
My contract comes up at the end of July. Usually with tech changes, I am usually ready for a new phone at the end of a contract, but this time my battery on my Galaxy Note crapped out a few month ago.

With my extended warranty, I received a brand new, shiny Galaxy Note 3 to replace the old Note.

So, I am in a nice position on my cell phone contract. Contract nearly up and a new phone of good quality and speed.

I can pay $50 to unlock the phone once the contract is up. Was on Bell, but now I am thinking of going with a pay as you go plan elsewhere rather than being locked in.

I am a light user of my phone as far as plans go. I use less than 200 minutes of talk time per month, less than 200 MB of data and probably 100-200 texts per month.

Looking at the various plans out there, I noticed that SpeakOut (7-11) has unlimited Canada/US texts, 200 minutes plus 100 MB of data for $35 per month, a significant savings compared to my current contract.

Has anyone had any experience with SpeakOut? How is their coverage, network quality and service?

See less See more
#2 ·
I am a much lighter user than you but I find Speakout quite good. Just had a voice mail indicator glitch and they took care of it. I am quite pleased right now because of their Acer 2 sim phone and $100 air time plus 2 months basic data for $139 plus tax.
Anyway we are happy with the network quality and my light data use. Their coverage map is quite accurate so you can see they don't cover all of Vancouver Island. If you head off to the west or north of the island you may be lonely for part of the trip.
I do believe you get what they advertise and customer service is pleasant and can get the job done.
I assume unlocked will get you the bands you need.

#3 ·
Speakout uses the Rogers footprint for coverage.

I was a light user (15 minutes/ month) but my data usage was spiking and I was using 300 MB/month.

Data costs $10 for the first 100MB and then 10 cents per MB after that, so my $13/month was now hitting over $30.

I decided after 6 years to switch to Wind. (Not an option in Nanaimo)

It comes with much more data and 40 hours of talk time.
Now I'll use my mobile instead of home phone to make LD calls.

For $50/ month, I get 10 GB of data (including upto 1 GB in the USA) and 40 hours of Canada or USA calling per month within Calgary or anywhere in the USA.

#4 ·
Thanks for your feedback everyone.

Checked on my bills for the last 3 months and did go up to about 160 MB in data one month while travelling, so might go for the 500MB plan at +$15 instead of the 100MB plan at +10. So my plan would be $40 per month.

Would still save me money. My costs before tax at Bell now are $57 per month plus I end up getting dinged an extra $5-10 many months for texting more than my plan allows.

#5 ·
I'm a cheapskate and only buy something I will really use. My first and only experience is with Speakout in Toronto. Pay as you go - no plan - brought my own old Rogers phone (my wifes). Got it unlocked for $20.00 at a local tech shop. I use it for text only and have all that I need to keep in touch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.