Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (
-   OTA Station & Network Operational Status (
-   -   OTA NETWORK Status: CTV & CTV2 (

sumguy99 2011-09-05 12:17 PM

They don't mention it in the story, but aren't they talking about CHWI 16.1?

September 3, 2011

Mumford was told Cogeco was unable to get a clear standard definition (SD) signal from Windsor, so it switched over to London.

The HD signal, which is carried on Cogeco Channel 803, was unaffected by the switch.

Why couldn't (or why doesn't) Cogeco's head-end equipment generate the SD signal from the HD signal?

How many other broadcasters have to supply cable-co's with dedicated SD (480i) feeds now (using some other method other than OTA) ?

rob50312 2011-09-05 06:22 PM

CKVR Barrie Needs more Power
Getting some drop outs now and signal has dropped to 40%.Clearly CKVR needs more power to match their old analog coverage.Analog 3 used to come in fine 24/7.

Phil81 2011-09-09 07:02 PM

@ cptcarter

This is likely a problem with the station itself. I'm getting almost continual annoying pixellation and some sound drop outs too with 100% signal indicated, it has been this way since transition day and they still haven't fixed it yet. In comparison, CH26 in Windsor and CH10 in London are completely fine when viewed at the same time. I think this is a problem with the link that feeds the transmitter in Wheatley.

x4mer 2011-09-11 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Humbar (Post 1315263)
CKVR is as strong as ever since I installed a Yagi. I'm not seeing any issues even with their 11KW signal.

I saw you posted in another thread that you can get both CKVR & WHEC depending on the direction of your yagi.

With my yagi, I have not been able to receive WHEC ever since CKVR went digital on 10. If the Rochester signals are making it to Stouffville on a given night, they all come in except WHEC even when pointing right at Rochester.

It seems CKVR is strong enough off the back, to prevent WHEC from locking. However CKVR won't come in unless I point my antenna NW 320'.

Humbar 2011-09-11 12:31 PM

I tried this when I first installed it and got both signals. I haven't tried it since and I don't have a rotor. I'm leaving it pointed at WBBZ and for reception of CHCH. Unfortuantely I have to point at CKVR to recieve it, but it is really strong here.

Schmerpy 2011-09-12 01:30 PM

Cool - thanks. So, according to the specs, it should be easy, but if the specs are wrong, who knows....I will experiment.

How'd you get that info? I only see old information in TVFOOL (i.e., not data for stations that recently made the transition other than the old analog broadcast data).

tvlurker 2011-09-12 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Schmerpy (Post 1319504)
How'd you get that info? I only see old information in TVFOOL (i.e., not data for stations that recently made the transition other than the old analog broadcast data).

Click on the pending radio button, either in the online maps feture, or on the radar map itself.

database: All channels (save image)
Only Digital (save image)
Only Analog (save image)
These reports show what should be on the air now according to the latest FCC database.
included: All channels (save image)
Only Digital (save image)
Only Analog (save image)

*These are speculative reports that include pending applications filed with the FCC. This lets you see the effect of planned upcoming transmitter changes, bu

tvlurker 2011-09-13 01:13 PM

It's not signal strength that TVfool underestimates, it's the noise floor that is used in the NM calculation.

And simple rabbit ears have no immunity to off-axis local impulse noise.

GeorgeMx 2011-09-13 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Schmerpy (Post 1320070)
The thing that surprises me somewhat is that 3.1 is exactly the same distance from me as CHCH, and 3.1 is broadcast at twice the power of CHCH, yet 3.1 appears harder to receive at my location.

Go into Google Earth, use thumbtacks to mark CKVR and your house, use the ruler to make a line between your house and CKVR, then alt-click on the line and select elevation profile from the dropdown menu. You will see a major ridge on the profile between your home and CKVR that blocks the transmission path.

Dave Loudin 2011-09-13 04:58 PM

You can see path profiles in TVFool, too. click on the stations entry in the table and the path profile opens.

bigguy1231 2011-09-15 02:07 AM

Good news from what I hear for those of you in Hamilton area who want CTV2. Rumour has it that CKVR may be installing a repeater on the CH tower. Don't know how credible this may be, but it would be a great developement if true.

downbeat 2011-09-15 03:06 AM

Better than rumour: There is a CRTC application to this effect. We've talked about it before, in one of the old threads, notably …

rob50312 2011-09-15 06:29 PM

CTV2 CKVR Barrie
I used to get an acceptable signal on analog all the time.On digital its not reliable and gets many dropouts and is useless.CKVR raised their tower height many years ago to get simsub rights in Toronto.They should now lose those rights.They need 60kw of power to match their analog coverage.

Humbar 2011-09-16 11:18 AM

If you're not using a VHF antenna to recieve CKVR then you wont have any luck.

sumguy99 2011-09-17 10:02 AM

I was in Windsor a couple days ago and I noticed that Cogeco cable in Windsor was having problems generating a standard-def NTSC signal for CHWI. I wasn't near a digital TV so I don't know how the digital channels were looking.