Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Cable analogue to digital migration

200K views 490 replies 123 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 ·
I received a notice from my apartment building, who bundles basic cable into my rent, and was told that Shaw needs to install digital boxes to remain receiving basic cable. Makes no difference to me since I already have a HD PVR, an HD box (awaiting a new TV to hook it up to as it is a rental) and a SD box. But here in Lloydminster are they phasing out analog cable altogether or did my apartment building make this decision?

If so, does this mean that Lloydminster will finally receive all the channels Shaw offers elsewhere such as Canadian Timeshifting and Superchannel? I would assume this would be a solution to the finite capacity issue as I understand that digital has a higher capacity (possibly infinite like IPTV) and could carry all of these channels without a capacity issue.

#2 ·
Probably best to contact Shaw or the person who is in charge of your apartment.

I am like you, if my condo does go to All-digital. I already have 3 boxes. 1 HDPVR in m living room. 1 HD + PVR Expander in my bedroom and SD box in my gameroom.

You would need to subscribe to those channels to get them but they will be available to everyone in the household but those are digital channels anyways.

#3 ·
Oh for sure. I was just curious whether Shaw was going all digital or not. I think the Canadian timeshifting is something that would automatically be added to my cable. I already get the US timeshifting and seems to me the two are all one package in areas that receive it. I'd have to see what Superchannel offers to see if I'd get it or not. Sons of Anarchy is on it, but I don't know what else they offer.

But I do have to talk to my building and see if they will pay for the SD box I currently have or how they are going to do the boxes as far as payment goes.

#7 ·
But I am not grandfathered with it. They do not offer the Canadian Timeshifting here in Lloydminster, however to get the US Timeshifting, I have to subscribe to the Canadian Timeshifting package. Ergo, when they add the Canadian channels, I will have them simply added to my cable.

#9 ·
There are two methods for a Digital Cable Migration:
1. Full Digital: all stations including Basic go digital
2. Expanded Basic goes Digital: Tiers 1, 2 & 3 go digital while Basic cable remains analog

I personally like method 2 as it reduces the number of Digital Cable Terminals and Digital Adapters needed in the cable system.

A Digital Cable Migration should save Shaw mega $$$ in the long run as customers changing analog tiers will not need a truck roll for a tech to change the filter/trap on the cable line.

#11 ·
It is an agreement made with Shaw through the owners of your building, alot of apartment buildings are doing this, so for customers in your building that do not have a box they will now have one and be able to receive the complimentary channels that come with the ownership of a box. Has nothing to do with the fact your building is going all digital.

Going all digital means that an individual has decided to go with the Shaw Personalizer Plan.

#12 ·
That's disappointing to hear. I realized it once I actually spoke to me property management company. I was hoping this was Shaw freeing bandwith to deliver Canadian Timeshifting and Super Channel. But alas it is not.

The explanation I received from the company I rent from is that when Shaw reorganized the channels in February, they moved some of the channels that were included in basic (and therefore included in my rent). To appease those tenants who had not upgraded their Shaw to a digital (or nearly everything like me), the owner of the building was installing boxes in each unit to allow for the channels that used to be received to be received. I don't know my neighbors, but for the two weeks when I first moved in that I didn't have a digital box (due to lack of techs to install it), I did have some channels on digital subchannels that weren't offered on cable here. I used to receive CITY from Toronto, EWTN (which isn't a big deal, though I do find Mother Angelica terrifying) and Vancouver Canucks PPV games for free.

#15 ·
Not primarily. The main reason Shaw's switching to all-digital is so that they can stop broadcasting the 59 analog channels they currently have (Winnipeg count), which will free up tremendous amounts of bandwidth for digital, HD, internet, and any other advanced services they may have in store.

The ease of servicing all-digital customers is a side benefit, which will allow Shaw to connect, disconnect, and process customer service changes directly from the office, without needing to send out a technician.

#17 ·
1. Eventually, everyone will be digital only.

2. There is no set date and each provider is different.

3. Most cable providers (Canada and US) still provide some analogue cable, however, the trend is towards digital with fewer analogue channels available, eventually none. Some (usually small) providers are all digital in certain areas. Here's the thread on the topic:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=90621

#19 · (Edited)
For each Analogue channel space consumed is roughly 10-12 SD and just over 3 HD digital stations. There are plans for some reclamation of the "Tiers" first not including the basic cable channels (pretty much the first 20 or so in most communities) in order to create more space for further channel additions as well as the freed bandwidth in other uses within our network.

Shaw guys here will be happy to share more when we can. For now please understand there are some plans for partial conversion but not full.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.