Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Channel 68 mystery signal picked up in Mississauga

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  stampeder 
#1 ·
Channel 68 mystery signal

I’m getting a very strong digital signal with no ID on channel 68. There is no picture or sound… just an open signal. Could this be Global in Toronto testing? The signal has now disappeared but I’m watching for it. I didn’t have a chance to turn my rotor to see if it’s a Toronto signal but it was very strong at over 90% here in Mississauga.

Was 68 not the channel Global was assigned for use in Toronto?
Maybe just maybe Global is about to surprise us all with the Super Bowl broadcast in HD OTA in Toronto!

#3 ·
Well I got a lock on this mystery signal again and by rotating my antenna got a direction and it's coming from across the lake.... and not Toronto. So much for my idea Global was about to surprise us all ;)

Looks like it's these guys...

W68AJ NY BOLIVAR & RICHBURG USA

Licensee: WESTERN NEW YORK PUBLIC B/CING.ASSN.
Service Designation: TX Translator station

Channel: 68 794 - 800 MHz Licensed
File No.: BLTT-19810526JC Facility ID number: 71893
CDBS Application ID No.: 30743

42° 04' 9.00 " N Latitude Site in Canadian Border Zone 78° 11' 4.00 " W Longitude (NAD 27)

Polarization: Horizontal (H) Effective Radiated Power (ERP): 0.168 kW ERP Antenna Height Above Average Terrain: - meters HAAT Antenna Height Above Mean Sea Level: 666. meters AMSL Antenna Height Above Ground Level: 0. meters A

#6 ·
A low power translator that is already running on ATSC? That'd be rare, but then again it would explain why your tuner is detecting a digital carrier but without any intelligible data. Either that or the station is likely running on NTSC and your tuner is picking up the analogue carrier but can't determine what its supposed to do with it.

#7 ·
The FCC site says it a PBS station and remember it was the PBS stations doing High Def before most everyone else was. PBS gets grants and alot of equipment donated to them to experiment with. To me this all looks like they are experimenting. This is for sure a digital signal.

#8 · (Edited)
#9 ·
I just got of the phone with engineering at WNED (actually talked to someone other than the operator, a first!) and there is no change with any of their translator stations and surely not that one. BTW, they will all go dark in 2009.

So this ch 68 is somewhere near you. Any idea on a direction??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.