Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Questions about getting an HD box in my unique situation

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  yyzlhr 
#1 ·
I spent some time searching for the answer to my question by I haven't been able to find any info that pertains to my specific circumstances.

Basically, I want to know if I would be able to purchase and use an HD cable box without having an actual account with rogers. While I don't have a rogers account, I do have rogers service as it's included in my condo fees.

Until recently I had a rented HD box but I have since cancelled all my accounts with Rogers. Although the accounts are cancelled I still have rogers basic cable since that's free to all condo residents.

What I'm trying to figure out is if I bought a HD box from Future Shop or craigslist (assuming the account is in good standing) would I be able to use it? I'm just worried if the box has to be activated I wont be able to since I don't have any rogers account to speak of.

#2 ·
When the cable service is part of your condo maintenance or rental fees its called a Bulk Rate Address. Even though the TV service is free, you must have an active account with Rogers in order to use digital services, even if you own your own equipment. Because you can order PPV and VOD on the terminals, Rogers needs to have an active account so they can bill you for those services. In addition, most bulk rate addresses often include free terminal rentals and Rogers needs a way of charging customers who leave the building and neglect to return the equipment. Also HD terminals will not work at all even if you have an active cable feed if it is not activated on an account. It will just display Not Authorized.

To open an account in a bulk rate address there is no charge, however a credit check is required.

#4 ·
If you had internet and or home phone or rented terminals that cost money at that address you're in right now, chance are that account is still technically active. They probably just removed the services from that account and because Bulk Rate customers do not receive invoices unless they have services that cost money or if they incur PPV, VOD or lost/damaged equipment charges, it would appear as if the account has been closed when in fact it is still active.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.