Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Mystery Movies We Watch Over & Over: Why?

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  nursedude 
#1 ·
What makes a Mystery or any other movie watchable over and over again? We know the plot and the outcome so it can't be for that reason.

Take something like Chinatown or The Maltese Falcon. IMHO these are examples of films watchable over and over even though we know what's going to happen.

Plot, Acting, Cinematography, Sound Quality....What does it for you?

What makes you invest in a Movie? Is a 5 star Video and Audio rating enough?
IMHO it's not.

#3 ·
Yep one example is "Total Recall". Everytime I put it on even for some kind of check or other I get caught up in it and watch to the end.

#4 ·
Chinatown or The Maltese Falcon are two of my favourites. Casablanca is probably at the top of the list. For me, it's mostly about characters and dialogue. The characters must be interesting to watch and the dialogue must be believable. A few memorable lines also help. A good underdog plot also helps. Seeing the underdog vanquish the evil villain is always a good ending, especially if it is done with cunning or a little civil disobedience. Seeing the downtrodden saved is also rewarding.

Another element is escape. That's why 40's film noir and science fiction are repeatedly watchable. We don't live in that world, often wouldn't want to but it becomes believable enough to distance yourself from everyday life for an hour or two. It's sort of like a mini vacation in the living room. Watching a favourite movie again is sort of like revisiting a favourite place.

Edit: OOps, not all mystery movies. The above plus a really good puzzle. ;)

#5 ·
The Big Lebowski is a mystery movie as well as a brilliant comedy. Jeff Bridges' performance and all the comedic elements are what makes it so fun to watch over & over again.

#6 ·
Depends on the movie.

Some are a showcase for an actor or director, which you rewatch just to be reminded how good they are.

Others I rewatch just to marvel at the craftmanship. When I first saw Citizen Kane and the original King Kong I thought they were good movies, but once I found out more about them I now rewatch them to marvel at how far ahead of their time they actually were.

Some like Monty Python movies demand multiple viewings to catch all the subtle (and not so subtle) things that you miss on the first viewings.

#8 ·
One a year to once every five years - but some movies you just go back to. I agree!

However, one man's (person's? don't wanna be overtly sexist...) repeat is another's headache. Beyond a few of the classics, I bet the list of rewatchers will vary widely.

For me (in no particular order):
Pure Country
Strictly Ballroom
Streets Of Fire
Forbidden Planet

I am waiting to see Avatar in 2D, to see if it will join my list.

#14 ·
"I see dead people"...should have been our first clue :rolleyes:

I could never watch it again though...

The kind of movies I can and do watch over and over:
Star Wars Trilogy, Indiana Jones Trilogy, All James Bond movies, All Jack Ryan movies, All Die Hard movies, All Bourne movies, All Lethal Weapon movies, All Rush Hour movies, Both National Treasures, Chain Reaction, Con Air, Gone in Sixty Seconds, The Rock, Entrapment, The Assignment, Enemy of the State, The Italian Job, Total Recall, Fawlty Towers, Spies Like Us, You've Got Mail, Etc...Etc...Etc...

#16 ·
I'll rewatch films due mostly to acting or dialogue or to catch nuances or clues in thrillers/mysteries or just to revisit my favorite scenes....take Magnolia a film that is well known to have a love/hate relationship with viewers but I can rewatch certain scenes in it and never be tired of them such as the one where "Cruise..when grilled by the reporter about his Mom's death of cancer, his dad leaving and still alive, etc..etc.." .that scene..the intensity of the dialogue, the look in Cruise's eyes when he says "I'm judging you". it just grips me everytime I've watched it..and I've seen the film probably 10 times!.

#17 ·
My choices...

are usually classics of a certain era. I really enjoy old James Stewart movies like: Strategic Air Command and Carbine Williams. A few Cary Grant ones (Father Goose and I Was A Male War Bride.

I can also watch Field of Dreams, The Quick and The Dead, Bridge on the River Kwai or any of the original Star Wars movies endlessly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.