|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|2012-05-21 10:34 PM|
A script to scrape the CBC website for schedule info for mythtv
I've written a little python script to scrape the CBC web site for scheduling information and put the results in to an xmltv/mythfilldatabase compatible form. You use it like this:
# ./scraper 2012/05/21 > sched_20120521.xml
# mythfilldatabase --update --file 1 sched_20120521.xml
Since I rely on the PSIP info for my EPG, and CBC does not provide, this allows me to get CBC scheduling.
Would this be of interest to anyone - I would be happy to share it - or is there a better thread to discuss this?
If you are interested and grabbing a copy now, surf to newmovies.walma.org and right-click to download scraper.py. It is very rough and does no input sanatizing or exception catching, so use it carefully. It also depends on "beautiful soup" for html parsing, which, if you are using some flavour of linux, should be available through your package manager. There are some comments in the code which will give some hints to getting it working.
|2012-04-24 03:34 AM|
MythTV 0.25 Thread
As discussed in this thread: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/31-home-theatre-personal-computer-htpc-media-extenders/152823-mythtv-0-25-released.html
|2012-04-23 11:29 PM|
Mythtv .25 was released April 10th:
It looks to have a lot of new features... Http streaming, AirPlay, and more.
I will do a clean install on a new drive to see how it works with my hardware.
Please post you upgrade results...
|2012-02-16 04:27 PM|
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post
|2012-02-15 09:16 PM|
Originally Posted by Digital_Frank View Post
|2012-02-15 08:57 PM|
|rsambuca||Ug. Just read that one of the lead developers of mythtv has left to create a fork called torc. Hopefully this won't thin the developer resources too much.|
|2012-02-15 12:20 PM|
|Digital_Frank||Anyone use MythStream? It transcodes on the fly and streams live/recorded TV to browsers.|
|2012-01-17 04:42 PM|
One nice thing about handbrake is it will automatically crop out the black bars (letter and pillar boxes). One issue I have had though is some of TVO's UK programming is window-boxed with a 14:9 aspect ratio. Handbrake does the right thing and will remove all the black bars and MythVideo will play the resulting file just fine. The issue is if I then try to use MythArchive to put the video on a DVD, it will stretch it to 16:9 (distorting the picture) when it should be either letter boxing it to 4:3 or pillarboxing it to 16:9.
Any suggestions for fixing this?
|2012-01-07 09:53 PM|
dynomac: I recommend Handbrake to transcode recordings for long term storage.
I used to use mencoder but you're right it's quite outdated. I switched to handbrake and find it does a much better job. It's got a good CLI (Command Line) version which makes it easy to write scripts to handle all the types of custom inverse-telecine/de-interlacing options you might want. Like mencoder it uses the x264 codec but also uses the more modern container formats like .mp4 and .mkv instead of .avi.
|2012-01-06 11:19 AM|
My serverf is running Mythbuntu 11.10 so I guess Mythtv is MythTV 0.24 (2:0.24.0+fixes.20110908).
|2012-01-05 02:48 PM|
I forgot to ask what version of MythTV you are using. There were some issues with the channel scanner a while back, but I think they have been fixed in recent builds. I am always running close to current code, so it's hard to recall when things were broken and/or fixed.
|2012-01-05 02:24 PM|
To answer my own question. I finally solved the issue by using the DVB-APPS tools and performing a scan.
I then used the channels.conf in the channel editor and the 2 missing channels are now useable.
|2012-01-05 10:04 AM|
Still a no go with these 2 subchannels. I get "B" recordings. Looking further I am getting a failed channel change.
|2012-01-04 03:03 PM|
I would do a full channel scan and delete anything you don't want/need. Then edit the new channels and put in the correct xmltvid. The best way to get the correct id is to go to the tv listings on zap2it dot com, put in your postal code (or a zip code reasonably close to the transmitter) and find the channel, then hover the mouse pointer over the channel name in the guide. The link will have a 5 digit stnNum field, which is the xmltvid. Put that in the channel editor, save the changes, make sure you have the channel selected in your Schedules Direct lineup, and then run mythfilldatabase and you should get the correct listings.
|2012-01-04 02:14 PM|
|rsambuca||roger, you can set it to keep the original copy after transcoding. It adds a .tmp to the end of the original file and it stays in the same directory. If the commercial removal isn't up to your satisfaction, you still have the original and can simply delete the new one, and then remove the .tmp from the original. The database still works after doing this. You just have to remember to go and manually remove the .tmp files or you will have two copies of everything.|
|This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|