: Need some calibration device using ColorHCFR

Destato
2008-12-23, 01:35 AM
Hi guys I just purchased an Eye-One LT and using the "for dummies" guide from another site I managed to get some decent results. However, I'm not too happy with the low gamma (even when using the highest "static gamma" correction on the display). When setting my blacks I have to subjectively bump my brightness up to make the lower level blacks visible using a test pattern. If I use the objective measure of 0.65% of Y on a 10% grey IRE window, the blacks get crushed. I've tried doing a greyscale calibration around 35ftL and 55ftL without much difference in the gamma or black level problem.

Setup:

Toshiba 42HL167 LCD
-Theature mode: Video
-Temp: Warm
PS3
AVS HD Test Patterns
Colour HCFR
Eye-One LT

Linked below are my before and after files for greyscale. If anybody has experience boosting the gamma on these sets I'd certainly appreciate the advice.

Also, I've linked my colour measurement post-greyscale calibration. It's pretty far off on the CIE chart but I'm not really sure about the best way of correcting this. I've tried the colour/tint + CMS settings using the "for dummies" methodology but frankly I'd rather not use the CMS as it adds faint noise/macroblocking.

The one thing I do know is that even with the CMS blue is being a real pain and doesn't seem to want to correct easily. Which in turn made cyan and magenta hard to fix.

So in summary, I would certainly appreciate it if anybody has an idea on what compromises I need to make to a) get my gamma up somewhat and b) compensate, preferably via greyscale adjustments, for my green and blue being so far off. Or maybe there's something else I've missed entirely! Even if you can point me in the direction of somebody who's explained some of these intermediate calibration concepts in detail I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jay

greyscale (http://syninc.net/Greyscale.zip)
colours (http://syninc.net/Colours.zip)

David Susilo
2009-01-02, 12:43 AM
you're facing the exact same problem I had with my Toshiba LCD TV. I used Spyder2, EyeOne and even rented a Sencore and the results were the same. I sold the TV 2 months after I purchased it. The most expensive piece of junk I've ever wasted time and money on. (especially because the CMS is useless -- same problem: macroblocking when used)

jvincent
2009-01-02, 10:50 AM
So in summary, I would certainly appreciate it if anybody has an idea on what compromises I need to make to a) get my gamma up somewhat and b) compensate, preferably via greyscale adjustments, for my green and blue being so far off.

Colour first.

You cannot adjust the locations of the primaries by changing adjustments for greyscale. The two are completely orthogonal. There are only two things you can do to fix the location of the primaries/secondaries: use the built-in CMS or add an external video processor.

Getting a perfect gamma curve is often very hard to do and in the end you may need to make a trade-off. Sometimes that means some low-end black crush, other times it means a slightly less than optimal gamma curve.

Having been through this myself many times on my plasma I would opt for a less optimal gamma curve. Of course on some displays it may simply not be possible. Your LCD might be one of those.