: Will the switch to dtv make a 16:9 screen?

Durbkat
2008-12-21, 01:49 PM
I still use an antenna to receive my tv shows on my 37" sony bravia and most of the shows are still in the 4:3 format and create bars on the side of the screen. I usually just change the screen mode to wide zoom which makes it fit the screen. But it doesn't look good. But some shows are in the 16:9 ratio and look great on the tv. So my question is when the switch to digital television happens in february will all shows fit the 16:9 screen?

james99
2008-12-21, 02:02 PM
I'm sure somebody will point you to an existing thread.

That being said, keep in mind that digital and HDTV are not the same thing.

HDTV is a form of digital tv but SD programmig (standard definition) is digital and is 4x3 (for the mostpart).

So, if you're using an antenna you can receive a digital signal. In fact you can currently receive a HDTV signal today which is 16x9.

What cities are you pulling a signal in from?

cooper83
2008-12-21, 02:04 PM
Keep in mind the transition to DTV is for the USA only, so only American broadcast signals will be affected. Canada makes the switch in 2011, I believe.

There should be no change in aspect ratio; shows currently shown in 4:3 will most likely remain the same. Same goes for 16:9 shows - some of these channels/shows might be standard def, others might be HD...you'd notice a difference for sure.

I think there are a couple of previous threads on the switch to DTV if you do a search.

Durbkat
2008-12-21, 02:44 PM
Oh sorry, I keep forgetting to search first, I'm not used to it. As on other forums there are several topics on the same subject that people just post the same info in those topics.

I'm receiving my signal from louisville.

It's a shame that mostly sport shows are in the 16:9 ratio since I don't like sports. lol

stampeder
2008-12-21, 03:19 PM
I'm sure somebody will point you to an existing thread.And here it is :) All your answers and more can be found here:

The End of Analogue TV Broadcasts - A Summary (http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=90621)