: More Vista Troubleshooting

Lynx281
2008-12-16, 06:36 PM
On a computer I'm trying to fix I come across errors that I do not know how to fix. On a Dell Inspiron 1501 that runs a Vista OS I get the following error randomly:

After I get a blue screen of death and I reboot and troubleshoot I get the following message
*Problem caused by USB driver

Computer shutdown abruptly to protect itself from potential data corruption or loss

When fullscreening videos on youtube the screen goes black, upon exiting the full screen option I get the following pop-up message
*Display driver R300 stopped responding and had recovered

XrayJames
2008-12-16, 07:26 PM
Hi,
I have a similar Inspiron (6400/1505) running Vista Ultimate SP2.

I guess the first place to start is:

1. are all MS updates applied?
2. are the most recent drivers from Dell installed?

---------------
James M. Fisher
MS 'Windows Desktop Experience' MVP

BGY11
2008-12-16, 08:55 PM
For the video issue, it sounds like the GPU may be overheating (that's usually what causes the "recovery" message you get regarding the driver. You could try updating the graphics driver though.

Coop
2008-12-16, 10:02 PM
Are you still under warranty? I would call their support, its possible there are issues - recalls etc. But first back up anything you want to save as they my suggest you format (if they do that they walk you through it). At least that's what happened to me when I called regarding blue screen's I was getting on a XP Inspiron.

Also what usb devices have you installed lately? did you use the disk that came with the product? I always go to the manufactures web site and download the latest drives.