: How to overcome the lack of S-video input

bgillies
2008-12-11, 06:51 PM
I am looking at the LG4260 on sale. The only drawback I can see is that the unit doesn't have an S-video input. I have a Sony Hi-8 camcorder and the Sony MiniDV TRV900 camcorder, both of which have S-video outputs, which is how I connect them to my antique Toshiba CRT TV.

Other than HDMI, the LG TV has the following inputs: 1 L/R audio/composite video (side),2 HD component video + L/R audio, 1 RF, 1 RGB - PC, 1 PC audio, 1 RS-232c (rear).

What would be the smartest way to connect my camcorders to the LG unit?

Many thanks.

Bill

scampbell
2008-12-11, 07:54 PM
You could get an S-video->VGA converter for around $100 and use the VGA input.

Does your audio receiver (if you use one) happen to have component or HDMI output? If so, you might be able to plug your S-video devices into your receiver and have it up-convert the signal to component/HDMI. If not, this could be a good time to upgrade your receiver.

bgillies
2008-12-11, 08:15 PM
You could get an S-video->VGA converter for around $100 and use the VGA input.

Does your audio receiver (if you use one) happen to have component or HDMI output? If so, you might be able to plug your S-video devices into your receiver and have it up-convert the signal to component/HDMI. If not, this could be a good time to upgrade your receiver.
Many thanks for the suggestion. I cut and pasted the LG's inputs from Best Buy. Which one is the VGA input? (I'm guessing it is the 1 RGB - PC) How much of a quality loss would I suffer with this setup, and where would i buy an S-video -> VGA converter?

Bill

2008-12-11, 11:47 PM
The other option would be to purchase an S-video to composite adaptor - probably around $10. The quality will be "close". What's the exact make/model of this TV - I searched for LG4260, but came up empty?

bgillies
2008-12-12, 12:00 AM
Sorry, my mistake. The model is 42LG60. This is the LG - Scarlet 42" 1080p 120Hz Flat-Panel LCD.

Jaygeetee
2008-12-12, 12:06 AM
I ordered an ' s-video female to RCA male' adapter from Monoprice (ID#123) for $.84 and noticed very little difference in video quality.

2008-12-12, 12:13 AM
Indeed, no S-video input. Perhaps the previous suggestions help:

- AVR
- Composite
- VGA.

Do those cameras not have a composite output?