: 50" Panasonic PZ800 vs 60" LG PG70

Glace
2008-12-10, 02:33 PM
I've been looking at televisions for awhile as this will be my first HDTV purchase. After researching specs online and in person, I've decided on a 50" Panasonic PZ800 as it has the best quality (comparable to a Pioneer) on a affordable budget.

However, I went to FS to look at this TV again and they had this displayed next to a 60" LG60 and oddly the LG60 looked better to my eyes. It was more....vivid, but it could possibly be adjusted in the settings. I've read everywhere and it is almost unanimous that the Panasonic is better but my eyes don't see this although I did notice the blacks on the LG were not as black. Both TV's had the same feed.

To make matters worse, an opportunity has presented itself where I can get the 60PG70 for $500 more than the Panny

So my question is this, as an average viewer, do I go for the 50" Panasonic that is of higher quality according to internet reviews, or do I pay an extra $500 for a 10" larger TV that is worse according to the internet? I'm leaning towards the 60" on size alone and quality from me watching in store.

I have the feeling that pretty much all major name brand TV's are good, but can the average person really tell the difference between a LG, Samsung, Panasonic, or Pioneer if they were NOT side by side?

2008-12-10, 03:04 PM
Please set the following post regarding proper optimization of the TV. What you see in a big box store bears no relation to what it will look like at home when properly optimized. "Vivid" is not what you want, if you want an accurate picture.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76161

See also the following post, useful for those new to the forum:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

1tribeca
2008-12-10, 08:03 PM
Hey Glace...

The store "demo" is a poor place to judge (I know, you're thinking where else can one compare?) good call, so just keep in mind the store displays are far from "real world" in that respect.

As 57 says, the majority of panels displayed in the big box stores are on vivid, or dynamic, or "torch" mode as it's lovingly called in the industry. Far to bright and saturated with colour to be viewed day in/day out at home. They do this cuz of 1) all the brutal halogen lighting inside these stores 2) to make the uneducated buyer go "wow! what a picture"

I've seen the TVs you're talking about...have no illusions, the Panasonic is a far superior product. Again, in a better comparison at your home you'd see.

You mentioned the better black levels on the Panny...hold it right there! That's practically reason enough to buy the Panasonic! Black levels are crucial to good panel performance. Like an artist relies on a pure white canvas to begin a painting, so does the viewer with a deep black display when watching TV...everything else (colour, brightness, contrast) depend on it.

In my opinion, Panasonic is probably the best you'll get for a plasma (outside of Pioneer...which is leagues above all, but that's another story)

If the LG is $600 more I think you said? Have you compared the pricing of a 58" Panasonic? Close to the bigger size, but still Panny technology.

Glace
2008-12-10, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling the settings were altered, I'm just curious though why the Panasonic wasn't put on torch mode. This is true for all stores that I've seen so far for Panasonic and Pioneers, it's not as bright as the other TV's. One would think they would do this to a Pioneer in an attempt to sell those rather an LG since Pioneer's cost more? Or maybe the margin on LG is better? I'll need to get my hands dirty and mess with the settings I suppose.

I'll look into the 58" Panasonic though.

I guess my real question is, for an average user who doesn't play video games nor uses a computer on a TV, what is the chance of me buying a LG and regretting it since it doesn't look as good as a Panasonic? This is a very general question and difficult to answer so I suppose I'm looking for experiences from people who have 2 different brand name TV's and their thoughts.

1tribeca
2008-12-10, 08:25 PM
If you were to spend a significant amount of time watching a Pioneer panel, you'd puke when you went back to a lesser brand. They really are the benchmark of plasmas...that's generally felt/written about in worthy publications.

Panasonic make a very robust panel however...good quality for the buck for sure! In fact, the next round of Pioneer panels will be made in part by Panasonic! The glass portion anyway...the "guts" so to speak, the video processing etc. will still be all Pioneer. Should be interesting. The reason for this is cuz Pioneer was on the verge of a hostile takeover...they are a "small" company in the realm of consumer electronics...as compared to the big boys...Sony, Panasonic, Sharp, etc.

What are the chances of regretting buying the LG? I'd say fairly good considering the superior quality of a Panasonic. You sound like a movie watcher yes? If that's the case, life-like skin tones, deeper blacks, good contrast will all add to your movie experience.

How big is the space this TV will be going? Is it necessary to have 60" Will you miss the extra 10" if you buy a 50"

Glace
2008-12-12, 01:24 AM
You are correct, I would mainly use this for movie watching and HD TV watching.

I would be approximately 10' away from the TV. I suppose it's not necessary to go 60" but I fear getting too small of a TV. After actually measuring out how big the TV is, it seems like 50" may be sufficient. I think I'll go with the Panasonic.

1tribeca
2008-12-12, 08:56 AM
You're making a wise choice my friend!

hoppe1
2008-12-12, 10:04 PM
I was sooo torn between panasonic, and LCD(sharp aquos). The blacks detail did it for me. I couldnt tell the difference.
Now I am torn on which 50" model to get.
The 50 pz85( exclusive to future shop), the pz800 for more( has the higher contrast ratio/thx certification), or do I go the value way, and get the model from costco which has a slightly lower contrast ratio( will you ever notice???)THC50FD18
I just read that Panasonic has the models releasing for spring 09 with 60,000 contrast.
Pulling my hair out!!!

1tribeca
2008-12-13, 11:01 AM
Forget these "numbers" that manufacturers love to paste all over the websites. There is some truth to the digits, but a good demo with some of your personal viewing content is the best way to decide.

You will notice better contrast (numbers or not) it'll add to the depth & "3D-like" performance of the panel...especially when watching Bluray or movies in general.

I'd grab the PZ800 myself...if that's the level you're flying at...or if you can hold off til the next series of panels is released, but then you gotta jump in some time!

Huskylord
2008-12-13, 12:02 PM
I struggled with what to purchase as well. I ended up buying the 50 inch PZ800 from Panasonic. No regrets....love the picture. And you know what, after I bought it, I don't care any more about tv stats....I just enjoy watching the tv. I think you'll be fine with the Panny. I'm recommending one for my brother-in-law.

Cheers and good luck

Ganovice
2008-12-14, 08:20 PM
I also struggled to make the right choice when planning a HDTV purchase. I bought the Panasonic PZ800. I am very pleased with everything about it, especially the picture.