: why 1080p for computer use?

shmish
2008-12-07, 01:49 PM
Hi, I've read a fair bit on 1080p vs 720p, screen size, sitting distance etc. I haven't found any info on exactly why 1080p is recommended if the screen is used for a computer though. Can anyone explain this? If screen size and sitting distance would indicate that 720p is all that is needed, why do people recommend 1080p if a computer is going to be hooked up?

thanks

jean luc picard
2008-12-07, 02:37 PM
overscan. lots of 1080p tvs have 1:1 mapping while most 720p tv's do not. overscan on a 720p panel results in like 680 lines which is pretty low by most standards.

raypundo
2008-12-07, 02:53 PM
I have a 42" 1080p Aquos as my computer monitor. I went with it because:

- it accepted 1080p/60, which only 3 at the time did back then, more info to the TV to show a picture the better
- Pixel denisty at my distance
- It has a dot by dot mode so that every pixel the computer sends the TV, it shows without altering it. This makes a huge difference in clarity of text. I toggled back a forth and I was amazed at the difference it made.

shmish
2008-12-07, 06:49 PM
Thanks guys. I've been reading about 1:1 pixel mapping. When I went to the manufacturer's website their online documentation didn't say anything about it. I suppose the people selling tvs may know but I'd bet that most of the sales people don't even know what 1:1 pixel mapping is!

How did you find if the tv you were interested in had 1:1 pixel mapping or the ability to turn off overscan?

thanks

granduncle
2008-12-07, 08:13 PM
How did you find if the tv you were interested in had 1:1 pixel mapping or the ability to turn off overscan?
By every way possible... One of them - brand.
I've not seen a Samsung - DLP, LCD or Plasma - that doesn't allow this.
Keep in mind that on many LCDs (768p or the like) you won't like it one bit...

raypundo
2008-12-07, 08:57 PM
Only way to find out would be the hard way I imagine, reading each manual of the TV's you shortlist for other reasons/features.

Just apply dot:dot as the last filter to your search, to reduce the number of sets you need to check up on :)

I would highly recommend making sure you get dot:dot for computer use though, other options are more of user preference like black levels, price, ambient lighting, etc.

Each set probably calls it something different as well.

Good luck!

rsambuca
2008-12-07, 09:05 PM
720p resolution just isn't good enough for computer use. A regular pc monitor is 1280 x 1024 resolution. 720 lines of resolution just isn't good enough for pc use, unless all you are doing is viewing videos, etc. If you try to use a 720p TV for word processing or something, you will inevitably get eye strain/fatigue due to what will end up being 'fuzziness'.