: Christmas gift for parents

mr weather
2008-12-07, 12:04 PM
Looking to get a 505 system for my folks for Christmas. They had mentioned previously that they were considering Star Choice mostly due to being able to get the Detroit networks.

Anyway, one question I have is what size dish is supplied with the 505 kit? The 60E or 75E? I read somewhere that the dish wasn't actually included; it would be brought by the installer on installation day.

Thanks.

QCK
2008-12-07, 01:09 PM
They will get the 60E dish which will be brought by the installer on the day of installation as long as they do not live in the Northern parts of Canada.

steelers2005
2008-12-07, 02:15 PM
:p Hey, you can request a self install and they will ship the dish to you plus credit you 50.00 dollars for the install. This is what i had done here in Winnipeg. Anyway the 505 is a great gift for your parents.

QCK
2008-12-07, 04:32 PM
I tried with two different CSRs to do a self install and the flat out would not allow. They said the only way that could happen us if you lived in an area where they would not normally have a tech available (far North). :confused:

I was given a free three line install and when the installer came he only had enough cable for one line and ended up using my own RG6 cable. He promised to drop off an equivalent amount of cable the next week but never did come by.

Anyway, it is a nice present for your parents!

mr weather
2008-12-08, 09:42 AM
Okay, thanks for the information. I picked up a 505 at Best Buy yesterday for the regular $199 price. The folks are buying a new HDTV for Christmas so I thought this would be a nice supplement to that. I'll let them activate and take advantage of the programming credits. :)

They live in Windsor so I'm guessing it would be a no-go for a self-install. Still, locking in the 107.3 and 111.1 birds looks a little more tricky than simply pointing at 91 as you would for an ExpressVu install.

Now the $64 question is how busy will the installers be in the period after Christmas day!

steelers2005
2008-12-08, 10:44 AM
:pWay to go! This is how i mamage to get the self install. It would of taken close to three weeks for me. But it could be faster in Windsor.

Bent But
2008-12-08, 02:11 PM
I'm guessing it would be a no-go for a self-install.

Forget about the self install idea. Your parents will NOT be covered under the Simple Satellite program (Free dish service call) if you go that route. Too bad you don't know a SC door to door Sales rep there. The going new sub price in Windsor for a HD receiver is $25 with dish installation included.