: Samsung PN50A450 vs Panasonic TH50PX80

matryx
2008-12-03, 12:58 PM
I'm currently deciding between the Samsung PN50A450 and the Panasonic TH50PX80. Which would be the better buy?

PPL4GOLF
2008-12-03, 09:01 PM
Foremost, price is an issue, these are comparable products so the price should be +/- 5 to 10%.

If you're more into SD content - the Panasonic has the edge. The stretch modes are a bit more versatile. The upconverting qualities are comparable.

I am very happy with my Sammy A550's ATSC tuner, fast, fairly sensitive and has an EPG. That's is important to me so I'm not complaining about the SD content even I know it could be better.

Fordman
2008-12-03, 09:54 PM
I have the Panasonic 42" PX80 (comparable spec to the PX50). I am very happy with this tv. In my research before buying I found that there was less glare on the panny. Been told that Panasonic has better customer service if any issues arise. I know I'm a little biased but I've had Panasonic for years and just can't get over the reliability of their products. Best thing to do is head down to the electronic store and compare the two as only you can be the judge of what your eyes like better. Happy shopping.

StillRYE
2008-12-04, 06:56 PM
I have the pn50a450 and I absolutley love it.
Since I calibrated it even my $40 dvd player hooked up with composite cables looks awesome.

PPL4GOLF
2008-12-06, 02:30 PM
I was just at Walmart and they had the 42" versions this Panny and the last generation Samsung plasma on display. IMHO, the picture quality should be comparable but the reflection on the Sammy was just hideous in this worst case scenario where I was looking up and saw the reflections of the florescent tubes in the ceiling. So take that into account if you have bright light source behind you couch.

I hate to pay more for the same size TV but I am glad I put my Sammy in the basement with no light reflection issue.

Fordman
2008-12-06, 06:17 PM
Did you notice at Wal Mart that the Samsung picture looks better than the panny. It is at our wal mart. The panny looks dull in comparison but I am sure that with proper calibration they can look similar or to your personal tastes. I am sure that they are not calibrated at the store. Friend of my has the Sammy and he said that it was quite bright out of the box.

2008-12-07, 12:06 AM
TVs in big box stores are never properly calibrated and almost all TVs are too bright OOTB. See the following post on the topic:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76161

StillRYE
2008-12-15, 04:39 PM
Did you pick one yet??

Michael TLV
2008-12-18, 11:14 AM
Greetings

If you are into calibration ... there are more tools in the Samsung than in the Panasonic to get it right.

regards