: LG42G70 and LG BD300 Bluray - just purchased, comments.

ribeater
2008-11-30, 12:27 PM
Hey everyone, I am so glad I found this website. I just bought the above package from Futureshop and hooked it up to a Shaw HDPVR with the appropriate Monster 750/850 HDMI cables.

The quality of watching a Bluray DVD and movies in HD on Shaw was a little shocking at first...but...

After watching a non-bluray DVD and watching HD TV and movies, my wife and I wonder if we actually like it better than our 720p plasma. The picture has a life-like, almost 3-D quality. The people/objects in the forefront are so clear and the background seems more distant...we thought it looks almost like we were watching from the perspective of the camera-man or like we were actually "on-set" observing the filming. The lighting is so vivid and really contrasts the foreground and background. The actors must hate these new TVs because the show such incredible detail.

Is this normal? Does anyone else have this TV or a similar high-end TV that gives you the same feeling when watching it?

Also, only when changing channels from a regular-def channel back to a high-def channel, occassionally the TV will restart and it will show the "connecting to HDMI 2" window...does anyone know a quick fix for this on LG products?

Any comments would be much appreciated!

soyboy
2008-11-30, 05:23 PM
this is the TV I have my eye on for a while... Your observation about the picture 'life-likeness' is the same as I've read in many user reviews.

I can also say that your tv reset issue isnt something I've read about. If the manual doesnt say anything about it, I guess contacting LG would be best.

2008-11-30, 05:50 PM
You may wish to check out the following post with regard to the HDMI issue that you're encountering: There's also a thread in the Shaw forum regarding the latest firmware update which has created a lot of HDMI issues, just like you mentioned. If you change the 4:3 override in the STB settings to "off", this may solve the issue, but it may affect PQ.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71112 HDMI Issues

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21274 Motorola Tips

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=94473 Shaw firmware problems.

See the following post, useful for those new to the forum.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

...appropriate Monster 750/850 HDMI cables. Hope you didn't pay too much for those cables. If so, you may wish to consider returning them after reading post 1 of the following thread.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30452

ribeater
2008-11-30, 07:05 PM
good info...so the 3-D style picture is normal...it's quite shocking at first...but it can be reduced by turning off the 120hz motion feature.

the cables were $255 regular price...the deal was as following:

$1599.99 TV and Bluray bundle
$427.99 Shaw HD PVR
$55.99 Monster 850 cable (2M)
$45.99 Monster 750 cable (2M)
$19.99 Samsung 7" digital picture frame (regular price $119.99)
Package includes 3 Bluray movies with purchase of any Bluray player
(I Robot, Kingdom of Heaven, The Devil Wears Prada)

The sales guy said he couldn't discount the TV, Bluray, or PVR as they were all on sale by the manufacturers. So, they discounted the cables and picture frame pretty good. I don't know if this is a great deal or not but it was the lowest price option for the level of performance. The other options were the Samsung 750 (40 inch) or the Sony W series (40 inch). A friend of mine convinced me I would regret it if I didn't go with the 120Hz TV. Although consumer reports rated the Samsung A550 higher than both the G70 and W.

Good luck to those shopping for a TV package. I must say, this LG set-up is quite impressive.

jean luc picard
2008-11-30, 09:40 PM
i'd say you spent $90 too much on cables, but i guess futureshop needs to make money on something.

CLKchick
2008-12-08, 04:25 PM
I had my eye on this model too, but am now leaning towards LG's 47-inch. always trying to go bigger. I'll have to do more homework on the cables though, because bluray is on my xmas list.

EricReesor
2008-12-09, 07:00 AM
The only difference is I bought the 42LC6DF from Costco..It is a branded 42 LG 1080p that is made for Costco, does not even show up on the LG web sites. I have noticed that it can be a little slow in switching video modes, but nothing serious after all the firmware is Linux based. (Duck) just joking.... since I use Linux and nothing but.

One thing I have noticed is that the LG TV and BlueRay player can receive firmware updates. I suggest that you check for updates to your firmware, but be really careful to follow the upgrade instructions to the letter! So far there are no updates for the firmware for my LG B/R DVD and TV.

Also the best price that I found on good quality HDMI cables was at The Real Canadian Superstore. The 1.8 meter 1080P rated cable was $39 before tax. It has as good a spec as any Monster ripoff cord. The manufacturing cost of Munster Cables is peanuts compared to the package and advertising cost. The retail mark-up on the things is at least 200% at some places.

There is going to be an HDMI cable war as soon as more of the big name retailers start to sell lots of HDMI cables and people realize companies like Future Shop and London Drugs are really raking in the bucks due to the fact that there is very little else to chose from in their stores except the junk cheapo branded cables they carry to make Monsters look like a sensible investment. And do they ever push the things when you buy a DVD player! :confused:

What else is ridiculous is positively insane prices on other readily available cables. After all 100 dollars plus for simple high spec RGB coloured RCA connectors is not justified even for a recording studio. You can just re-tag 3 yellow high spec rca videos and get home brew cables that are every bit as good.:)

I buy my high spec rca cables from Quail Electronics the same place that most studios out here do and never pay more than 20 bucks for the best pre tested high spec standard audio and video cables available.

daymz
2008-12-09, 10:50 AM
As others have said, play with the AutoMotion 120Hz, TrueMotion 120 Hz, or whatever they call it.

By default, I find it way too vivid as well. Turn it down one notch (on my Samsung 750 I set it to "low" because "medium" gave me the exact same effect you described). From there on, it was PERFECT !