: 2 year old 42inch LG Plasma issues...

Pages : [1] 2

Chaotik
2008-11-21, 01:17 AM
Hi all,

I have had by LG Plasma for almost 2 years now.
I recently noticed 2 issues:

1- right down the middle of the display, there's a vertical bar of about an inch that is slightly discolored. When watching something, it is very hard to tell it's even there unless the image is of a solid color. That and when I use the white wash ISM function, then the bar is clearly visible. I use the display for gaming a little bit but mostly for TV. I don't understand where that bar would come from. None of the games have a bar and I never pause the TV image for much longer than 2 or 3 minutes. I did have the brightness set to the highest possible setting (Daylight) ever since I brought the TV home though. The image just looked that much better to me. I recently dropped it down a notch to "normal" but the bar is still noticeable. Any suggestion ? Is this even burn-in ? I have no clue what the heck it would be from if it is...

2- When I change channels (I have a SA 8300HD PVR hooked up with HDMI) or change inputs on the TV to switch to the Wii or whatever, when the screen is all black while in transition I see little clouds of red pixels moving around, especially on the upper and lower 4-5 inches of the display. When watching something, they are not noticeable at all when sitting at a normal distance but when looking closely, I do see a few. They aren't burnt pixels because they move around. It's like they're swarming or something... Is this normal ? what is this due to ? I don't think this was there before. I think I wouldn't have noticed it. It seems to have started a month ago or so when I hooked up the Wii.. The Wii is hooked up with a knockoff component cable I got off Ebay. However, as mentioned, the same phenomenon happens when watching TV with the HDMI PVR...

Any ideas is greatly appreciated !

Thanks !

Chaotik

jvincent
2008-11-21, 01:24 AM
The vertical bar is most likely a defect in the drive electronics for the display.

The red pixels might also be related to that although it's possible that they are a result of the dithering algorithm in the set. Do you only see them on a black background?

HTGuy2
2008-11-21, 01:44 AM
Since your LG plasma almost certainly came with a 2 year warranty from LG, I would contact them immediately to arrange a service call before your warranty runs out.

Chaotik
2008-11-21, 01:04 PM
The red pixels are especially visible on a black background yes.

As for LG offering a 2 year warranty, that's excellent news ! I will look into this as soon as I get home.

I think I'm at 2 years less 1 month or two...

Would they usually replace or fix ?
Any experiences there ?

HTGuy2
2008-11-22, 01:28 AM
After I posted yesterday I remembered that the issue of Red Sparkles on LGs has come up before. Do a search for 'red sparkles' and you may surprised how often this has been raised and your other questions may be answered.

Chaotik
2008-11-24, 05:41 PM
Thanks.. I looked up those posts... Interesting. I didn't realize this was a recurring issue with LG Plasmas.

Here's for the update. Service call was places with LG.
Some tech guy called me to book and appointment. He'll be here tomorrow AM.
From what he's saying, the red sparkles issue he could fix on site pretty easily. However, he thinks that my description of the vertical bar issue may mean he'll have to file a panel replacement order as he isn't sure he can fix that.

I wouldn't mind a new one.. I think I would go for an LCD this time though.

I'll update tomorrow :)

Thanks for your help.

brettski
2008-11-27, 07:40 PM
Chaotik, I would like to know how it went. I'm interested in an update, because I have a service call appointment scheduled for next week regarding the "red sparkles" issue.

Luis_A51
2008-11-27, 07:50 PM
Call LG
My parent's 42" LG Plasma died a few months ago, and they fixed fairly promptly.

Chaotik
2008-11-28, 11:31 AM
So the tech guy showed up.
He seemed to say that the red sparkles could be fixed by adjusting / changing parts.
However, he seems to think the vertical bar issue shows a problem with the panel itself and doubts that it can be fixed.

Because of that, he didn't bother with the red sparkles and took pictures of the vertical bar issue. It's really hard to see on a picture though but it's there and e agreed.

The pictures will be sent to LG for a warranty claim and they should get back to him in about a week to see what the next steps are going to be.

I'll update when I have some more news..

brettski
2008-12-02, 06:50 PM
The LG Tech showed up today and took the TV away. He said that because the "red and green sparkles" would show up all across the screen when it was showing black, that the only solution was a new panel.

He said that up to a few months ago LG would just replace the TV, but they no longer do that (one reason he gave was tax issues??). I asked about him taking a picture, as others have mentioned here, but he said that if he determines the TV can not be repaired onsite, then they have one tech at "the shop" who only repairs LG and he always videotapes the screen and sends the video to LG. He estimated that it would take about 2 weeks before I have the TV back. He said that if I only had the "sparkles" in a small area of the screen, they would have attempted adjustments to the "DC voltage" or replace a "Control Board". But he said getting a new panel, which includes "new electronics”, is best. Basically he said I will have a "new" 2006 model TV.

It was the tech's 2nd "appointment" of the day, and he said that he had 7 more scheduled.

The 2 year warranty expires today (I contacted LG last week for a LG "case number"). Lucky, because the tech told me that LG has recently got "very picky" on warranty expiry dates, and that he had a case where it was only 1 week past the date, and LG refused to cover the repair bill – he thinks they eventually settled for partial payment to demonstrate “goodwill”. The tech never even asked to see my original receipt or warrant info (he had a printout that already included all of that information, including where the TV was purchased - probably the info was from when I originally registered the purchase and warranty with LG.

Let's see how long the "2 weeks to repair" really takes. Luckily I have a 37" Toshiba LCD to move from the kids TV room to the family room.

Bobvan
2008-12-03, 01:23 PM
Same here, I just bought A Hitachi plasma on the weekend Great looking TV. I find they look like a large CRT TV much less picture noise in dark scenes then my LCD, but I like hockey better on my LCD they both have their pros and cons. I also have my LCD in my bedroom so if either TVS have a problem I have something to watch!

Chaotik
2008-12-08, 03:52 PM
Well guys,

it looks like so far you're luckier than I am...

Here's whats going on for me.

As mentioned, I had 2 issues, red sparkles and that vertical discoloration.
Because the tech though the discoloration could not be fixed, he didn't fix the sparkles either and just took some pictures.

I called LG today and they had no updates to provide me with on the case. So I called the tech company. They told be LG had ruled that it was not going to be covered by warranty because they feel it's burn in... !
So I called LG back and they sounded confused about the whole thing.
I told them it could not be burn in. I am super anal about pausing the image and that the bar was to clean cut to be burn in.

At this point, the guy at LG seemed to think there's nothing he could do but he asked me to resend the pictures to him anyway and he would double check the verdict.

I think it's impossible to make that call based on the pictures they have. It's too faint to see on the pictures. However, the tech that came clearly said he didn't think it was burn in.

My options are:

- Request a second opinion from LG (After all, they'll have to come back anyway to take care of the red sparkles which are clearly covered and which they didn't fix). Maybe ask for a different tech to come.

- If they are unwilling to change the verdict, I'm thinking of going to small claims.

That's the update.
more to come I suppose. I hope..

Chaotik
2008-12-10, 10:58 AM
New update... a good one.

Since no one from LG replied to me emails containing the pictures or called me back, I called them again this AM.

The lady I spoke to put me on hold for about 2-3 minutes and came back saying they would actually cover this for me but that I was very lucky since apparently burn in related problems were covered for a very short period of time or something. I don't know.. the explanation was kind of loose, and besides, I still say it's not burn in but whatever.. at this point, they said they would fix the TV and that someone would call me back in a couple of days (them or the technician). Short of replacing the unit, that's the best resolution I could hope for so that's fine.

I will let you know when they call me back and come over again.

brettski
2008-12-17, 01:11 AM
I phoned the authorized repair depot today and was told that they put in a request to LG over a week ago stating that the panel required replacing. They haven't heard back yet. Later in the day I received a call from a tech at the depot, and he told me that he had emailed LG again, and would let me know when LG replied. I have been without my TV for exactly 2 weeks. If that was the only TV I owned, I would be getting upset that nothing has yet even been decided. If I don't hear back before Friday, I will contact LG directly myself.

brettski
2008-12-24, 03:04 PM
The repaired TV was delivered today (Dec. 24). It was gone for 3 weeks plus a day. After letting it "warm" up for a couple of hours ( it was -20C something this AM), I have set it up and all is good. No "sparklies" what so ever, and picture is excellent. The work order states : "Need control module or panel, voltage adjustment did not change or fix the problem". Billing Instructions on the w/o states " * Manufacturers Warranty * - Labour Warranty - Mfgs; Parts Warranty - Mfgs".
Work Order states that a new PDP Module was installed - LG part # 6348Q-E139R. If you "google" that part number the cost of that part is more than $2000.00. You would think with the cost of a 42" plasma at Costco and elsewhere right now for less than $1000.00, that they just would have replaced the TV - I could have used the extra HDMI ports :). Anyway, thought I would report the good news.

Chaotik
2008-12-28, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the update brettski.

My ordeal is not over yet.
I am getting the run around between the repair company and LG.
LG says repair company will call me to make an appointment.
They don't call me so I call them.
Then the repair company says "we've already been to your place. LG didn't authorize anything else..."
So I call LG back and they say they don't know what they are talking about.
LG booked a meeting for me for tomorrow and said the repair company will come to my place. I am missing a day at work to wait for them. If they don't show up, I'll be pissed.

I think I will call them in the AM just to be sure I'm on their to do.

Frankly, it sounds like I'm dealing with one incompetent after another.. That or their appointment and tracking system just sucks.

Chaotik
2008-12-31, 06:08 PM
Well.. I still don't know when they'll be coming.
Looks like the repair cie received a fax from LG authorizing them to fix the red sparkles but not the second issue.

I thought I had made myself clear with LG that there was 2 issues and they did confirm they would fix both.

Man I'm running out of patience.

I just noticed today that the vertical bar is actually visible when the TV is powered off completely. Doesn't that 100% rule out burn-in ?

brettski
2009-01-03, 08:57 PM
I feel for you man. I sure can't complain about the service I got here in Edmonton. They told me that they don't take pictures, and if they determine it can't be repaired on site, they have to take the TV in to the "shop" and the "tech" videotapes the screen and sends it to LG. I guess I was lucky that I let them take the TV with them. At first I was leery and hoped they would "take pictures" on site, as you originally explained that your repair guy did.

chimo
2009-01-12, 09:38 AM
I have a 42" LG Plasma. Several months ago it went black. Fortunately, it was still under warranty so I didn't have to pay (it would have been >$1000 so I would likely have trashed it for a new set). A local repair shop was able to fix it. Two boards needed replacing. It has been working fine since.

A funny sidebar to this is that after I supplied all the paperwork to prove it was under warranty and had the repaired set at home, the repair shop called to say that LG Canada was giving them some problems with invoicing. They wanted me to pay them for the repair and then try to get re-imbursed by LG. I politely declined.

Yesterday we picked up a new 1080p 120Hz 46" Sharp LCD. I notice a huge difference in picture quality improvement with the new TV. The plasma is now moved to the basement for the kids.

Dave Murray
2009-01-12, 02:19 PM
I had the same red sparkles issues. LG covered it under warranty (just less than 2 years old). The tech replaced the control board and the picture looks great now.