: Calibrating my tv

StillRYE
2008-11-18, 01:36 PM
I have a Samsung 50A450 that I bought about a month ago and I recently bought the Blue Ray DVE.
Last night was the first chance I have really had to sit down and try and calibrate my T.V. after a couple of hours of messing around I got the colors set perfectly but I had to mess with the white levels to get them there.

Now my problem is that my blacks look dark grey with a green tint to them I adjusted the white levels again to fix the black but that sacrificed the colors. The way I have it now is pretty close to perfect on the color scale but the black looks alot better is this a comprimise I have to make or does anyone have any tips for me on this issue.
I am using my PS3 with component cables as my Blue Ray player.

2008-11-18, 01:50 PM
1. Perhaps the tips in the following thread will help:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76161

2. Why are you using component video when that won't upconvert SD DVDs? Use HDMI for your connection to the TV.

See also the following post, useful for those new to the forum:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

StillRYE
2008-11-18, 03:07 PM
Yea I have read through that thread and a few other ones on other forums.

I am using components because I only use my PS3 for gaming and Blu Rays I have a five disc Sony DVD player w/HDMI cables that I use for my regular dvd's and it upconverts very well.

In all honesty it actually looks really good the way I have it now it's just one of those things that will bug the hell out of me lol

2008-11-18, 03:15 PM
At one end of the spectrum are people who don't optimize at all, while at the other end are people who are always "tweaking". I guess you're closer to the latter end. ;)

StillRYE
2008-11-18, 03:55 PM
LOL yea true I always get in **** for "fixing" stuff that was never broken.

kath192
2008-11-21, 05:51 PM
You may want to check out the suggested settings at this link:

http://www.tweaktv.com/tweak-my-tv/samsung-2.html

Just select your model (I don't see a 50A450 model listed but they seem to have just about every other model there).

eimaj
2008-11-26, 10:51 PM
I just checked out that tweaktv site and it does not seem very good. I looked up 1 of tv's I previously owned (Samsung 4665f) and the one I currently own (Samsung 4681) and the tweaks seem a little too basic. It said to not even adjust the white balance or my colour control which are crucial to get the whites and greys to look proper for these sets.

2008-11-26, 11:41 PM
Any settings posted on the web are not going to be the optimum due to the manufacturing variances on the TV and the various other possibilities. See the following post on that topic.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=449673&postcount=2

There are many times that I've optimized the identical make/model of TV, as indicated in the link and they are never the same, sometimes with huge variances in certain settings (say one TV with 40, while the identical make/model at another place could be 60) That's a huge variance on something like brightness (black level). On the one TV you'd have huge amounts of black crush, while the other TV would look washed out.

Their website even states:
We do not claim that our recommended settings are necessarily the ideal settings for all of the sets of a particular brand and model. What purpose does the site then serve?

Just for kicks, I checked their settings against my latest optimizations. Although many of the settings were "not bad" in each case there was at least one setting that was quite different from the way I optimized a particular TV and something like the colour would have been way over or under-saturated, or the blacks being crushed or washed out.

jvincent
2008-11-27, 07:01 AM
If you are really into calibrating your TV to the Nth degree the best solution is to buy one of the inexpensive colormiters (Spyder or DisplayLT) and use the ColorHCFR software to perform the calibrations.

The S/W was developed by some guys on a website like this over in France. It's very, very good. Especially for the price, i.e. free.

The S/W is available at their site:

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/colorimetre/index_en.php

2008-11-28, 11:30 AM
A bit of a clarification on posting settings here. Please feel free to post your settings in a thread about your make/model of the TV. Please also discuss the various settings and what they do (or don't do). We have had several such threads in the past and they are useful from the standpoint of the discussion of what each setting does (for example the black level, or edge enhancement or colour temp), since the individual settings can vary from TV to TV.

stationg
2008-11-30, 03:20 PM
I guess my big question and its probably very debateable BUT will professional calibration make a difference and more importantly will I notice any difference in the PQ?

I have been debating and debating for a year now.

I have a one year old Sony XBR4 46inch. But I have all my components running through my Onkyo 875 via HDMI.

Will calibration make a difference?

Thanks

2008-11-30, 03:37 PM
If the TV is in its default mode, or the person has done nothing more than say switching to standard mode, then yes, you will very likely see a noticeable difference. See the comments in the last few pages of the following thread.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=40306

This obviously relates to more than simply optimizing the TV settings, but it really depends on what you want done and who's doing it. After doing several hundred of these optimizations, I don't recall anyone regretting having me over. I'm sorry I can't really help you since you're in Vancouver.

With all the components going through the AVR, there may be a bit of a compromize in the settings, or you could calibrate several different picture modes if the components are different enough to require that. A harmony remote could then be used to do the switching of the modes automatically. Most people don't bother with this as the "compromize" is usually fine.

What's important in the optimization process is things like:

- the correct colour temperature
- the correct picture mode which allows for the most tweaking (some picture modes have options greyed out, or the functionality is done in the background and cannot be modified)
- an understanding of what the various items do - edge enhancements, sharpness, etc.
- turning off or turning down the settings that harm the picture quality.

(I deleted your other post since I already answered here)

stationg
2008-11-30, 04:23 PM
Thanks for deleting other post. :)

I always thought that PQ really is relative to how someone's eye sees things? Everyone's eye is different thus he/she may think the PQ is great while others may see something different. I am currently using a "custom" setting for PQ. I think I found these custome setttings online but nothing like going through the service menus. :)

I guess I need to do more research on calibration before I shell out the money.
I will have a look through the link provided-thanks.

2008-11-30, 04:43 PM
I always thought that PQ really is relative to how someone's eye sees things? Well, anyone who can see will see the differences in a properly optimized TV vs one that is not. Some people don't care or are not aware of what to look for, however, once you know, you'll see.

One major example is how much worse macroblocking or some lettering looks in the default vivid mode than on an optimized TV. Another example is regarding the black level, which if not set properly will either make an LCD produce blacks that are more grey than black, or produce so much black that there are no shadow details. Finding this balance is sometimes tricky.

Since you're already in the custom mode with your Sony, you're already significantly on the way to an optimized TV, although I have seen the proper black level (brightness) setting vary from 40 to 60 on the same make/model Bravia for example.

stationg
2008-11-30, 05:10 PM
Hmm not sure if this the correct thread but I just connected all my components using HDMI through my receiver and I just notice a GREEN line on the far right side of the screen? It runs vertical from the top of the screen to the bottom. :( I never had this problem that I noticed when using component.

Is there something I can do? :(

2008-11-30, 05:14 PM
It's not really the correct thread, but I believe you'll find your answer in the following post discussing 1:1 pixel mapping or 0% overscan:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=793236#post793236

You'll need to adjust the TV so that you don't have zero overscan. This is discussed in the following thread on the Shaw firmware also:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=94473

stationg
2008-11-30, 05:24 PM
Thanks. I think I may have adjusted the TV correctly even before reading your reply. But it sounds like I adjusted the pixel. It was set to FULL and I adjusted it to -2 and voila green line gone.

Caatnap
2008-12-01, 01:44 PM
http://gizmodo.com/5098917/how-to-calibrate-your-new-hdtv-and-not-lose-your-mind

StillRYE
2008-12-01, 09:07 PM
I figured I would give anyone an update that was interested I played around with it a bit more since I last posted and I have it looking really good now.

A couple days after I settled on the settings I was gonna use I sat down to watch a DVD, about ten minutes into it I really wasn't happy with the picture quality again so I hit the menu button and to my surprise it was on one of the fatcory default modes (My g/f or I must have hit it inadvertantly) so I put it back onto my custom settings and I really noticed how much better it looked.
Long story short I have a line up of buddies wanting me to come over and calibrate their tv's for them I definately recomend taking the time to set it up properly.
Afterall you wouldn't buy a v8 and only run it on six cylinders would ya?