: Sony LCD TV features including PiP questions

velocci
2008-11-17, 01:20 PM
hi all, i'm comparing a whole bunch of Sony TVs with each other. i see some features i don't know what they are. maybe someone who knows for sure or has a Sony TV can tell me?

1. 24p True Cinema
2. PhotoTV HD
3. Light Sensor
4. Auto Wide
5. Game Mode
6. Digital Amplifier
7. SteadySoundŽ Automatic Volume Control:
8. 5.1 Channel Audio Out:
9. PIP (Picture in Picture): PC Input
10. S-Video Detection
11. Number of Tuners (Analog): 1
Number of Tuners (Digital): 1
Does this mean it has two tuners?

2008-11-17, 01:45 PM
The sonystyle website has descriptions for almost all these features. For example, I've chosen a particular model: If you download an operating manual, the items are also typically described in there (search the pdf file using the term you're looking for).

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665116632

Please read the following post, useful for those new to the forum:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

hugh
2008-11-17, 02:00 PM
Does this mean it has two tuners?

That's the way I read it. One analog (NTSC tuner) and one digital (ATSC tuner).

I'm pretty sure that every HDTV sold nowadays has both

velocci
2008-11-17, 02:13 PM
if it has two tuners, does that mean I can view two different channels at the same time using the P&P feature?

2008-11-17, 03:13 PM
Probably not. In most HDTVs today the PiP feature is next to useless. The items you can PiP are outlined in the operating manual and are often limited to something like one digital channel and say one input like the HDMI input. Often the operating manual provides a table outlining what's possible - if very little is possible, there may not be a table, rather a simple statement...

Please put your location and service provider (if applicable) into your userCP profile (location). This will help us help you since some HDPVRs have PiP features.

velocci
2008-11-24, 03:22 PM
hi there, has anyone played around with the PIP and P&P features on the xbr6? i am thinking of getting it and want to know exactly what these features can do exactly, cause i know there are limitations. for example, the manual says that for PIP to work, the main signal has to come from the PC and you can watch TV on the little window. is this really true? and for the P&P, what input sources can you view from each window?

2008-11-24, 03:30 PM
Your post has been moved to this existing thread. Please do not create a new thread, when you've already asked the question here and already have an answer in post 5. Was there anything unclear about what I stated in post 5, or what's stated in the operating manual?

velocci
2008-11-24, 04:01 PM
the reason i asked again is because what the manual says about a feature doesn't always correspond to what is actually possible with the TV. So my post was going out to people who own the TV and use this feature. but i will remember not to create a new post in the future.

2008-11-24, 05:54 PM
I assume you meant new thread, not new post (on the same topic - we have no problem with people starting new threads on a topic that is not already under discussion).

Just as an FYI, not very many people use the PiP feature since it's so limiting and a lot of TVs don't have PiP, so you may not get much feedback.

PPL4GOLF
2008-11-24, 09:29 PM
FWIW, I have a new Sammy 50" plasma that has PIP but buried in the menu and it's only functional with analog material, I think. Absolutely useless if you ask me. I have Viewsonic LCDs and the PIP may do different sources but again with some restriction.