: North American tv sales up 12% in third quarter

hugh
2008-11-13, 09:45 AM
Preliminary research released this week show that North America television shipments from manufacturers to retailers in the third quarter grew almost 12% from the same quarter a year earlier. (http://www.digitalhome.ca/content/view/3093/283/)

Research firm Displaysearch reported that more than 10M units were shipped in the July to September timeframe with LCD and plasma TV shipments leading the way.

TECHNOKID
2008-11-13, 12:46 PM
This seems to be good news. The statement relating to CRT surprises me a little since most store don't carry CRT TVs that much anymore except for a few that are collecting dust and which they are trying to get rid of. I have a hard time understandiing budget concious buying CRT when soon they'll have to buy an external digital box tokeep it working unless... they are totally uninformed of what is happening. i guess the steady growth of consumers buying LCD and/or Plasma will more likely or hopefully help the BluRay format to grow also.

Cheers!
René

Wayne
2008-11-14, 12:11 AM
I have a hard time understandiing budget concious buying CRT when soon they'll have to buy an external digital box tokeep it working unless... they are totally uninformed of what is happening.But this is only true if these budget conscious folks use OTA rather than satellite or cable which won't change in most areas for the forseeable future. If you use satellite your TV will never become obsolete as long as it has composite in (or S-vid) and as long as they keep suppling those outputs on satellite STBs. Even if your TV doesn't have video inputs you can buy an RF mod.

I am shocked that TVs are selling that well when car sales have fallen off a cliff and it looks like we are heading into a major recession, the likes of which have not been seen in at least 15 years. But maybe it is just retailers that are holding lots of inventories?

Something doesn't smell right.

jean luc picard
2008-11-14, 09:16 AM
well 3rd quarter is july, august, september right? the stock market crash happened in october.

Wayne
2008-11-14, 09:32 AM
It started in September but sales of everything are falling off a cliff - Intel reduced their sales estimates for Q4. Perhaps TV sales got a bump in Q3 by the US fiscal stimulus where the govt sent out cheques in the first half of the year.

cansatfan
2008-11-14, 11:41 AM
Technokid, why would CRT users require an external digital box for their sets to keep working?

TECHNOKID
2008-11-14, 04:35 PM
As pointed by Wayne your provider box will convert the incoming signal to a video signal for you however, the OTA (over the air) signal will not work anymore on your CRT TVs once they stop sending the signal in the analogue form.

Digital and analogue are 2 different technologies: They both use carrier frequencies (your various channels) which are efficient for both technologies to transmit the signal to your home via air transmission, cable satellite etc... However, if your set has an analogue RF tuner, you will need to buy a converter which will change the incoming signal into an analogue signal in order for your old set to be able to display the video properly.

The property of the analogue technology is keying the carrier frequency in order to paint an image on your screen. In the case of digital, you are keying the level of the carrier with 0s and 1s which mean voltage or no voltage (typically 0 volt and 5 volts) in order to paint the image. Therefore, in order for an analogue CRT TV to recognise digital video, the digital video must be converted to analogue via the appropriate converter box.

Digital signal isn't always use for HD but you still get an improvement over analogue. My sister has been using digita

Do you remember when pay TV service was first introduced you needed a converter to convert TV sets from a tuner that could accept 13 channels to accept 36 channnels (I think that is what it was when it first started). So, some of the sort has to happen with the older analague technology in order for it to accept digital signals.

The only CRTs that I know does accept digital is when talking about HD RPTV as rear projection uses 3 CRTs, one for each color and if you have noticed, they are too fading away, not to many stores carry them and not too many manufacturers makes them anymore. Take a look at the attached document to have an overview of analogue and digital signals

http://books.google.ca/books?id=sSR_pO02nksC&pg=PA106&lpg=PA106&dq=crt%2Btv%2Bdigital%2Bsignal&source=web&ots=fFMxenAJn-&sig=BEUntA41QFDZYzocYFsQGYEM3w8&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=5&ct=result#PPA112,M1

Cheers!
René

1500cc
2008-11-22, 09:11 PM
With the vast majority of new TV sales being 16:9, presumably high-def, why are so many channels still broadcasting only in SD 4:3? I still find that 75% of what I watch is unfortunately only available in SD :(