: Sony KDL40WL140 and KDL46WL140 ?

JAY-DEE
2008-11-12, 01:25 PM
While browsing the Canadian Sonystyle website today I noticed the KDL40WL140 and KDL46WL140 LCD TVs at $100 below the price of W4100 models.

However, the "compare" feature was not enabled for the WL140 models and I wondered how they would compare to the W4100 models or any other for that matter? Looking at the available specs on the website, I do not see the obvious differences.

I do not see them listed in the "fall winter 2008" See It All with Sony catalogue either, nor any previous catalogue.

Are they Sonystyle online purchase only TVs? A Google search did not turn up much.

addendum: On the USA SonyStyle there was a KDL52WL140 with the specs saying it was Bravia engine, not Bravia 2 engine. But, the Canadian SonyStyle shows the 40WL140 and 46WL140 having a Bravia 2 engine. Otherwise, the specs look identical to the KDL52W4100. Also in USA the W4100 models are deeply discounted now, but I think Canadian pricing seems reasonable in comparison these days.

alandla
2008-11-20, 03:11 PM
I see the compare feature is now enabled for the 46wl140 on Sonystyle.ca and side by side with the w4100, they are identical in every way.

I'm not sure why they added this model and at a $100 reduced price.

Both seem to have the Bravia engine 2.

PS
Did you notice the 30mm depth? I have these two along with the v4100 and z4100B open and the V4100 is 115mm deep and the z4100B is 74mm deep.

Also, it seems that the only diff between these and the v4100 is the 120Hz vs 60Hz refresh rate.

avgjoe
2008-11-27, 12:12 PM
Seems like the only major difference between them is WL140 ships with that BraviaLink Internet module...

swarren
2008-12-01, 12:17 PM
The WL module is using the old Bravia lcd engine where hte W model has the new Bravia 2 lcd engine

Flagman
2008-12-22, 04:59 PM
I've been researching the purchase of a Sony 52" W series recently and I believe the differences are:

W4100 series have Bravia Engine 2 and 10 bit LCD panel
WL410 series have previous gen. Bravia engine and 8 bit panel

All other specs. seem to be identical to me.

treker747
2008-12-22, 06:38 PM
According to SonyStyle.ca website, WL140 has the Bravia Engine 2.

OntFamily
2008-12-24, 05:34 PM
I bought this TV (52WL140) a week ago so I am interested in the outcome of this discussion. I bought the TV assuming it had the Bravia 2 engine, based on the sony.ca website.

However, after checking sony.com, I became confused (sony.com lists the 52WL140 as only having the Bravia engine, and not Bravia 2). So, I called Sony this morning to ask their assistance. After some checking, their reply was "not sure". Some of their documentation stated it had the Bravia 2, while others stated the older Bravia engine (however, I found Sony is very inconsistent in their usage of the Bravia 2 inclusion -- some places for the same TV they'll state Bravia, and others Bravia 2). Sony advised they'll get back to me on the answer. While they couldn't answer the question, they did acknowledge the confusion on their marketing materials, and promised to get me th eanswer.

I checked the box in which the TV was shipped, and it states the 52WL140 has the Bravia 2 engine, and also I found a sticker that was on the TV that also said Bravia Engine 2 (BE2).

So, I'm cautiously assuming the 52WL140 has the Bravia 2 engine.

The only other difference between the 2 TV's is the finish. One is glossy and the other matte (hard to tell which is which).

escapeartist
2008-12-27, 04:24 AM
i too, is interested in the outcome of this discussion. to me, there are no difference as far as specs go.

Qwavel
2008-12-27, 08:44 PM
I saw both of these units at a Sony store in Toronto today. I asked the salesman the difference. He said that the only difference was that the W has a silver bar across the bottom, and on the WL the bar is black.

He explained that the WL series used to use the Bravia 1, but that has been changed and the WL that they sell uses the Bravia 2. He couldn't really explain why, given that they are basically the same, they are still selling and displaying both, and for different prices.

He seemed positive about the WL now using the Bravia 2, but he didn't seem so certain that they are the same otherwise.

DBAINS2K9
2009-01-08, 04:46 AM
I bought the TV too, and on my box it clearly shows Bravia Engine 2 being one of the features, so I have no doubt that it has Bravia Engine 2.

One disappointment with this TV is that I read that Americans recevied a "Bravia Internet Link" module with their WL140, but when I purchased mine from Costco in Canada, the display model didn't have it, and the one I bought doesn't have it, nor does the manual even mention anything about it.

I hate it when Canadian/American models have different features.

avgjoe
2009-01-09, 11:55 AM
Well, I mentioned this in my post above, actually. This is not so much your tv missing the module - it's Sony Canada intentionally screwing with people here by shipping the module separately. I guess the tv's are not expensive enough and they must charge us another $250+ for the module.

OntFamily
2009-01-10, 03:31 PM
However, yes, in the USA the WL140 ships with the internet module. However, the 52WL140 is much more expensive in the USA (so Americans are not getting this feature for free). In late Nov, I checked the price of the 52WL140 at Costco in Toronto and Washington DC (within a few days of each other). The USA price was about $500 more, in CAD equivalency. And, the internet module is of questionable value anyway.

earlof 18th
2009-02-01, 08:56 PM
I just purchased a KDL 40W140. The Sony store manager discounted the regular price by $300. (200 less than the sony style website)

According to him and the box and the specs, it has the Bravia 2 'engine' (whatever that is). He claims the only difference is the finish around the edges. The WL140 has a bright black finish. there is a clear space at the bottom and then another reflective bright bar.

The W1400 has a silver bar. I don't remember if the rest of the surround was matte or bright

I find the bright finish very annoying. It reflects everything in the room (especially lights) The clear space is even more annoying. My eye keeps straying to it and to the stand you can see through it. I ended up putting black tape over it . I would send this TV back if I could. The information that is posted on screen when i turn it on says 1080 i not p I will try the HDMI cable instead of the composite cable to see if that helps.

cdpage
2009-02-27, 01:25 PM
The information that is posted on screen when i turn it on says 1080 i not p I will try the HDMI cable instead of the composite cable to see if that helps.

I think you meant to say you are currently using Component. Composite will not run 1080.

Component will do 1080p but from what i understand the only product out there doing 1080p through component is Xbox. Everything else is running 1080i.

If you are infact getting 1080i and are using composite, it might be because something is upsampling for you. ie. composite to Receiver Component to TV.
OR
the TV can upsample... Can it do that?