: Where can I get a HD receiver that will work on Rogers Cable

boomie
2003-12-04, 10:45 AM
Where can I get a HD receiver that will work on Rogers Cable??? Will those ones off ebay work? I saw a few samsungs.. etc.

Help.. I don't want to pay to rent one, doesn't make sense.

MarcP
2003-12-04, 10:51 AM
Well, that brings up an interesting question... Is Rogers' network standardized enough to allow third-party receivers? Is there a standard in digital broadcasting over cable that receiver manufacturers must follow or is Rogers all proprietary? Something like DOCSIS for cable modems...

boomie
2003-12-04, 11:27 AM
someone please answer my question. Its driving me nuts!!!!

Polaris75
2003-12-04, 12:17 PM
Call Rogers. They're the only ones that can tell you for sure if they will authorize a box that wasn't aquired from them.

If they won't, you can always purchase one from them rather than rent one, but they'll be giving you a 3100HD which has more than a few problems, you should rent a 3100HD from them until you can purchase a 3250HD or an 8000HD.

I_Want_My_HDTV
2003-12-04, 02:45 PM
Help.. I don't want to pay to rent one, doesn't make sense.
Unfortunately, renting may the only thing that does make sense. Rogers is the only supplier of digital terminals for their system. The 3100HD is not worth buying due to bugs and design shortcomings. The rental is a lot cheaper if you get on the "Digital VIP" plan.

The next generation of digital boxes will be worth buying. The 3250HD may be available in your area now. Check with Rogers. I would be hesitant to buy an early production unit as it may have hardware or firmware problems.

Tembo
2003-12-04, 02:51 PM
make sure the DVI and Firewire ports are enabled.
Early production models may be disabled!

JohnnyG
2003-12-04, 02:58 PM
This is just a firmware issue though. The cable company can load new firmware to enable these ports at any time, although as far as I know, SA does *not* have firmware available yet for either DVI or Firewire.

Tembo
2003-12-04, 03:30 PM
If we can buy the 3270HD at retail somewhere (even in Buffalo!) will Rogers allow customers to use them? And if so, will they provide DVI/Firewire enabling updates to customer owned equipment not obtained from them?

I just hope we're not ever getting back into the early cable days when distribution of even those clunky little 36 ch Hamlin converters was controlled by Rogers!

JohnnyG
2003-12-04, 03:49 PM
If we can buy the 3270HD at retail somewhere (even in Buffalo!) will Rogers allow customers to use them?
I don't know of anybody who's ever tried, so all you can do is ask Rogers.

maverick
2003-12-04, 04:12 PM
If you purchase an SA terminal that was used on another cable system, you can add it to a Rogers account, but like everything else there is a process. The rep that you contact needs to email the Materials & Distribution Mgmt department (I wonít give the persons name on here just in case) with the serial number, Mac address and the company it was connected to before.

The person in the above noted department will contact the company and find out if it is stolen ect. So that they will release it and provide any info needed. Once that is done, Rogers can place the box in our system as a customer owned box.

Now I should note that Rogers does not in any way support or guarantee that they will work. Rogers will limit itself to authorizing the terminal only or testing signal strength.

As for upgrading the firmware, canít help you there. As well I am unsure if this is possible for models not currently on the Rogers System.

2000,2010,3000,3100,3200,6000,8000,3100HD
list might be larger but you get the idea.

Same applies with the New Brunswick and Nfld system with GI/Motorola boxes
1000,2000,2000HT,2500

hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions