: Interchangeable Heads

smilliken
2008-10-31, 08:50 PM
Anyone know if the XM radio heads are interchangeable? Salesman couldn't tell if they were or not.

PlaceHolder
2008-10-31, 11:48 PM
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're asking here? What's a radio head? I think you're asking if you can buy a XM radio satellite receiving device separate from the amplification and output... presumably for a car?

smilliken
2008-11-01, 02:00 AM
Well, I purchased the Roady XT and was wanting to know if I purchase the Xpress EZ, can one move the head (receiver) from one vehicle to another. The reason I ask, it would be cheaper to purchase the Xpress EZ (29.99)than a second vehicle kit. I know other people of done similar with the Sirius.

mr weather
2008-11-01, 10:17 AM
I think if it's one of the newer "plug and play" models it should be.

awhite2600
2008-11-03, 05:58 PM
I have a Express RC in one car and a Roady XT in my wife's car. They are not interchangable. The docks and connectors are similar, but the shape is just different enough to prevent a swap.

AFAIK, the Express models are interchangeable.

kellyhrj
2008-11-12, 11:59 AM
Hi
I don't think this will work as you planned...
I have a roadyxt and bought the xpress kit also. The receiver does not fit exactly. You will have to transfer the little black plastic base piece also BUT the car kit with the roady has only 2 cables, the power and the fm antenna/transmitter. The xpress has 3 cables, the power, an antenna, and a third wire that attaches to the antenna directly.

As a home kit though,the roady will work with it if you remove the plastic cover from the base station that the xpress sits in.

You could install the car kit in the second car and use the xpress instead of the roady, as it will work with only the two cables attached in the first car, you will have to use the base thing with the xpress.

I dont like the xpress as much as the roady because it doesnt show the names of the songs being played on the other channels until you actually select them unlike the roady which you can scan the channels to see whats playing without interupting what you are listening to.

It was a simple matter to call xm and transfer the account from one radio to the other, and then back again once I decided I didnt like the xpress. Now I'm using the roady in the house and in the car.

I hope this helps

H