: Honeywell Thermostat Problem

Caatnap
2008-10-26, 03:35 PM
I was about to reinstall a Honeywell RTH8500 thermostat when I noticed that the jumper between the R and Rc wires was missing. As I do not have an Rc wire, I need the jumper to be intact. As it is only a jumper I am assuming that a simple workaround would suffice but I see no way of doing that while still being able to connect my necessary R wire. The wire receptors do not appear to be large enough to take two wires in the same slot. Suggestions and/or a simple diagram would be appreciated.

wgauci
2008-10-26, 03:50 PM
Cut the wire end short enough that it goes in straight and put one wire on the left and one the right of the screw and tighten it down gently.

Or, if you strip the red wire long enough you should be able to loop it around the Rh and over to the Rc all in one piece. It doesn't have to be pretty.

Caatnap
2008-10-26, 04:00 PM
This stat does not use screws to connect the wires directly. Each wire goes into a small round container with a tiny screw to the left which when tightened keeps it in place.

wgauci
2008-10-26, 04:14 PM
I think I know what you're talking about, however, the missing jumper obviously slid into the two screw slots, would it be possible to slide a short jumper wire into whatever slot the jumper was in?

wgauci
2008-10-26, 04:22 PM
OK.. Just checked the online manual, loosen off the tighening screw enough and you'll be able to insert two wires into the hole. I've done this dozens of times.

Caatnap
2008-10-27, 11:27 AM
Following your advice I bent a short piece of wire into a U and managed to insert one end of it into the slot with the R wire. I connected the other end of the U to the vacant Rc input. Everything now seems to be working perfectly. Many thanks.