: Streets & Trips 2009 with GPS arrives next week

hugh
2008-10-20, 11:53 AM
Microsoft announced today that its 2009 version of Microsoft Streets & Trips with and without a Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver will arrive in Canada on October 27th.

The software includes detailed maps of the US and Canada, 1.8 million points of interest, spoken driving directions, full screen navigation, reverse route option and GPS compatibility with NMEA 2.0 compliant devices

Streets & Trips 2009, which competes with DeLorme's Earthmate bundles, will retail for in Canada for $59.95, $39.95 in the US. Streets & Trips 2009 with GPS will retail in Canada for $99.95, $74.95 in the U.S.

99gecko
2008-10-20, 02:47 PM
I hope anyone that buys this realizes the trouble with having a laptop open on a passenger's lap for an 8 hour road trip.

FYI, I was the passenger. Note: It was S&T 200x (likely 2007), but laptops are laptops

the S&T Inconvenient Truth

ctown6412
2008-10-20, 05:08 PM
you really only need the laptop open in complicated downtown areas from my experience as the voice prompts are detailed and easy to understand. I have been using steets and trips since 2005 and done many a trip and love it for many reasons. But mainly I prefer it over stand alone gps for when im at places I have not been to find new and interesting places to visit or see. And once in your hotel for the evening with internet you can plan your vaction even better.

jwt873
2008-10-20, 05:27 PM
I hope anyone that buys this realizes the trouble with having a laptop open on a passenger's lap for an 8 hour road trip.

If you have a large enough vehicle, you can purchase a laptop mount that allows the computer to be mounted on the transmission hump between the driver and passenger. The police in Winnipeg use such a mount in their computer equipped Crown Victoria cruiser cars. I imagine a laptop would be good for motorhomes too.. Of course, unless you have no passenger and can set the laptop on the seat beside you, the laptop isn't practical when it comes to subcompact cars.

I have a newer Magellan Maestro dash mounted GPS and I also have a laptop with an older version of Streets and trips, so I've used both.

The display of the laptop is a lot more practical than the standard dash mounted GPS unit. My 15 inch laptop screen shows FAR more detail when zoomed out than My 4.3 inch Maestro screen.

On top of this, it's way more convenient entering addresses using both hands on a full sized QUERTY keyboard rather than hunting and pecking on a little touch screen. The ability to set multiple waypoints with a simple mouse clicks is handy too.

The only big downside is that you can't leave your vehicle parked and unattended for any length of time with the laptop mounted. You can't tuck it in a pocket and take it with you like you can a regular dash mounted GPS. A laptop sitting in plain view is an invitation to a broken window and a theft. Having to packing up the laptop and store it out of sight gets to be a chore after a while. Because of this, it's best for long trips where you are in the car most of the time.

It also makes a good distraction when you fly. I keep my laptop on the tray in front of me and usually watch movies or listen to music, but I also find it somewhat entertaining to see exactly where I am... Below is a screen capture I made while flying from Vancouver to Winnipeg last spring: (Note the speed and altitude :) )

http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t329/jwt873/airplane-gps.jpg?t=1224533129

AmowAgou
2008-10-28, 03:32 PM
.... but I also find it somewhat entertaining to see exactly where I am... Below is a screen capture I made while flying from Vancouver to Winnipeg last spring: (Note the speed and altitude :) )

http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t329/jwt873/airplane-gps.jpg?t=1224533129
You are not allowed to operate any radio device onboard an airplane. It would not be entertaining at all if you watch your own flight dives down 30000 feet:o

99gecko
2008-10-28, 09:09 PM
^^^ Most laptops have the ability to turn off the wireless transmitter. As long as your not transmitting RF you're okay. Using Streets & Trips would not require the wireless network card. Airlines will ask you to turn off laptops during take off and landing. I assume this has nothing to do with the laptop but is to restrict the amount of unrestrained item in the cabin area.

WestCDA
2008-10-29, 10:01 AM
I assume this has nothing to do with the laptop but is to restrict the amount of unrestrained item in the cabin area.
Actually, they ask that all electrical devices be turned off during takeoff and landing so there is no interference with aircraft equipment during those critical phases of flight - this includes even small handheld items such as portable GPS, PDA's, MP3 players, etc. You are welcome to keep your hardcover copy of War and Peace open ... :)

jwt873
2008-10-29, 02:27 PM
You are not allowed to operate any radio device onboard an airplane.

Not true. A lot of airlines allow you to operate a GPS in flight. As WestCDA says.. Like any other electronic device, it has to be off when taking off and landing.

Here is an ad-hoc list of airlines who allow GPS: http://gpsinformation.net/airgps/airgps.htm

Note that in the list it says "Pilots discretion". I always make a point of asking a flight attendant if it's OK before turning my GPS on. I was using it with permission at the time I made the screen capture that I posted in my response above.