: Backing-up Dvds...Do u need SPECIFIC program?

STACKS
2008-10-18, 01:54 PM
I got a laptop back in April and have been learning almost everyday the different things it IS capable of doing.I have a question(s)hopefully someone w/ knowledge in this dept. can help me.

1)How does one go about backing up a commercially released dvd?Do i need a specific program/software?My laptop can read & write blu-rays.

I too wanna be able to d this w/ my home videos that were transfered to regular dvds some 3,4 years back.I placed one of these dvds of my home videos into my laptop dvd tray and was looking(hoping)there would be some sort of program within my computer that would take the dvd contents and transfer them into my computer's harddrive.The from there i could edit these.And then perhaps put some of the clips onto YouTube or similiar sites.

It would just seem easier(if possible of course)to do it this way.As opposed to having to PLAY the whole content of the dvd and have te comptuer reccording the transfer.

Is there software i would need to get to transfer(rip) both commercially released dvd materials and home made dvds?My Sony laptop came w/ Windows MovieMaker.

Any comments,suggestions or just to add,would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks guys!

hugh
2008-10-18, 02:07 PM
then perhaps put some of the clips onto YouTube or similiar sites.

That is illegal and could get you into trouble.

Regarding copying a DVD to your harddrive for Fair Use.

You can find a program called DVD decrypter (via google) and follow the instructions. or search the forum for decrypter and you'll find many threads discussing.

Another more reliable way is to use anydvd in conjunction with DVD ripping software.

STACKS
2008-10-18, 02:11 PM
Thanks Hugh.

No,no,no,i think you misunderstood me inregards to putting clips on YT.I MEANT my home videos and not,i repeat NOT actually ripping a commercially released dvd and the putting those clips up on YouTube.Clearly,i'd be getting me-self into some hotwater,to say the very least.

Thanks for the information.

STACKS
2008-10-18, 02:20 PM
Hey Hugh,btw,is there a dvd decrypter that allows one to backup("rip") blu-ray dvds?Did not seem to find a version.Perhaps i am just not looking in the right area.

jvincent
2008-10-18, 02:56 PM
I'm pretty sure that AnyDVD-HD will allow you to rip BD with the built in ripping utility. I hope you've got a lot of free disk space.

It will also allow SD-DVD rips.

STACKS
2008-10-18, 06:11 PM
Anydvd is essence just decrypts the informtion to one's computer HD and then Clonedvd takes that information and burns it to a blank dvd?Is that right?

I was just do myself some research,and at first i thought all you'd need would be AnyDvd,but i read the FAQ and it appears you need CloneDvd.Although,one question asked will Anydvd copy my movie dvds?The answer was no.It says if you want to copy movies on the fly we suggest CloneDvd.Then really what are the benefits to Anydvd?

I'm interested in AnyDvd because it looks as if you can rip blu-rays.Clone dvds look to only handle the ripping of regular dvds.

Help.

jvincent
2008-10-18, 06:26 PM
I don't use CloneDVD but it may be referring to the fact that if you want to make an ISO copy of the DVD that's where you need CloneDVD.

In addition to removing the CSS/macrovision protection AnyDVD also allows you to bypass the user restrictions (i.e. allows you to skip the trailers) and a bunch of other stuff.

STACKS
2008-10-18, 06:39 PM
Why would you want to skip the trailers and stuff like that?Do you mean if the original dvd would not allow you to?This way you could either remove them altogether or add a chapter mark to skip over them?

jvincent
2008-10-18, 06:43 PM
I haven't watched trailers on a DVD in years. :)

I don't rip my movies. I just play them on the HTPC and have AnyDVD configured to start the movie right away.

In order to remove the trailers from a rip you'll need to edit the DVD structure using something link DVDshrink. I don't know if CloneDVD has that functionality.

STACKS
2008-10-18, 06:49 PM
To me i don't mind watching trailers on dvds.The onlky think i am not big on(at least in the eraly days of dvds)on a few you were not able to skip these.That was a downer.

No,i like trailers,behind the scenes,commentaries and whatnot.

Btw,i have been trying to search the meaning of different terms used inregards to dvd ripping and the liek(can't find it)what does ISO stand for?

jvincent
2008-10-18, 07:23 PM
An ISO image is a raw image of the DVD file structure than can be burned directly to a blank DVD.

STACKS
2008-10-23, 09:31 PM
Is one able to make back-up copies of Dvd Audio discs?Either using AnyDvd in conjunction w/ Clone Dvd or seprately or what?Or different software altogether?

Thanks

mark
2008-10-24, 02:18 PM
I only have one DVD audio disc (The Crystal Method - Legion of Boom) which is also a DTS music DVD. I used a program called DVD Audio Explorer and successfully "ripped" the DVD-A content into multichannel .wav files.

I've never tried backing up the disc using DVD Decrypter and copying it to a blank disc though.