: Compton Cable launches HD PVR

Pages : [1] 2

james99
2003-11-18, 10:27 AM
PORT PERRY, Ont. - While the country's largest cable operator is about to go into a full-scale launch of personal video recorder (PVR) technology, one of the smallest has already launched high definition PVR. (http://www.cablecastermagazine.com/article.asp?id=24410)

travisc
2003-11-18, 10:37 AM
;)

james99
2003-11-18, 10:41 AM
Only 5,000 customers and you guys have HD and a PVR. Congrats Mr. Campbell.

acadian33
2003-11-18, 10:51 AM
In the article about this on cablecastermagazine
(http://www.cablecastermagazine.com/article.asp?id=24410), it mentions: As for the largest Canadian cable operator, Rogers Cable? It's holding a press event on Wednesday to officially launch PVR to its customers.

hugh
2003-11-18, 10:56 AM
Hmmm, I think we have to reconsider travisc as a moderator around here when we have to get news like this a day late

travisc
2003-11-18, 10:59 AM
Hmmm, I think we have to reconsider travisc as a moderator around here when we have to get news like this a day late

Hey, I've been talking about it for a couple weeks in various threads about the DCT6208!

hugh
2003-11-18, 11:50 AM
ahh talk is cheap, I expected a press release posted and a big announcement with a thread all it's own !

(plus an advertising campaign on DHC :o )

JohnnyG
2003-11-18, 12:04 PM
Score one for the little guy! Good work, Travis!

satphile
2003-11-18, 02:21 PM
Travis, you mentioned that you guys received 3 units of the 6208. Have you received more since then?

travisc
2003-11-18, 02:48 PM
We've ordered more since, expecting delivery soon.

satphile
2003-11-18, 03:08 PM
Have you fixed the retail price for the 6208?

travisc
2003-11-18, 03:42 PM
Yes.

http://www.compton.net/digitalcable/digitalterminals.html

mab473
2003-11-18, 04:01 PM
Hello Travisc, a few quick questions for you:

1. Is this price for the 6208 for Compton Cable customers only or would you sell it at this price to others, (Shaw Cable customers) assuming that shaw will support it in the future.

2. Is it possible to buy a stb from you and would it work on Shaw cable?

3. Will you be carrying the 6200 as well, if so what is your selling price?

4. Would you also sell the 5100 to someone in Shaw cable territory for the same price that is listed on your web site?

Thanks,

Micahel

travisc
2003-11-18, 05:27 PM
1. Is this price for the 6208 for Compton Cable customers only or would you sell it at this price to others, (Shaw Cable customers) assuming that shaw will support it in the future.
We are subsidizing the box to an extent, so I can't say that we would sell the box at a loss to non-customers.

2. Is it possible to buy a stb from you and would it work on Shaw cable?
We could make an arrangement for you to purchase the box from us, but we couldn't guarantee that it would work with Shaw. I believe DHC poster "greg" is trying to get an answer out of Shaw on that.

3. Will you be carrying the 6200 as well, if so what is your selling price?
We will carry it once we move out our stock of 5100's. Price would be the same as the 5100.

4. Would you also sell the 5100 to someone in Shaw cable territory for the same price that is listed on your web site?
Same situation. We might sell them, but not at a loss.

tinga233
2003-11-18, 06:18 PM
god I wish there was a true competitive marketplace in this Country, maybe then we would have actual options in who we get our content from and the customer would be better served all around, truly envy you guys in the East!

maverick
2003-11-18, 06:38 PM
god I wish there was a true competitive marketplace in this Country, maybe then we would have actual options in who we get our content from and the customer would be better served all around, truly envy you guys in the East!

please correct me if I am wrong, but most people have the option of 1 cable provider and 2 sat providers in Canada. I imagine having 1 cable provider is true as well for a large percentage of the US and the rest of the world.

running wires cost money and it would be counter productive to run competing cable wires.

I've travelled through Canada, the US and Europe and we are very lucky in Canada to have what we have (with or without HBO and others). try living in Britain for a year and have to pay a TV tax every year for 4 or 5 channels on antennae (no cable) or get a Dish (Sky) since the other dish company there went under last year (can't remember the name).

I really enjoy this group and reading about things that are productive, but to complain about provider choice. Move to a new area then. I won't stop you.

james99
2003-11-18, 06:57 PM
Cogeco is the 4th largest cable company in Canada and 2nd largest in the East (Ontario/Quebec) and they don't offer HD yet.

So, we're all not happy in the "east" :lol:

maverick
2003-11-18, 07:07 PM
Cogeco is the 4th largest cable company in Canada and 2nd largest in the East (Ontario/Quebec) and they don't offer HD yet.

So, we're all not happy in the "east" :lol:

When I say people should not complain, I don't neccesarily mean non rebuilt areas although there are choices even for you if you want HDTV, those who can't HD via cable and can't have a Dish, well I guess you are SOL, sorry.

upgrades take time and money and a lot of people here are all loking for something for nothing. it comes at a cost and most people are not always happy having to pay more.

tinga233
2003-11-18, 07:29 PM
maverick, my complaint is based on the fact that owning an apartment suite excludes most of us from a satellite option altogether and moving around for a choice is just silly.
We too pay many taxe dollars that go into the pockets of the Providers as well as the Govt. Beaurocracy that maintains a poor system in my opinion.
my whole point was that in my area the sole cable provider can screw around without any pressure from external competition cutting into their customer base.
I think you also are mistaken in that we don't want to pay for the upgrades, far from it from what I see others write here, we'll gladly pay if its a good product.

Nanuuk
2003-11-18, 08:00 PM
Competition will come when the Telco's come fully onboard. They might lag in HD, but will offer other competitive services. I for one am hoping this will spur the Cableco's to be a bit more imaginative than they have been as some of them don't view satellite as a threat.