: Non-movies on Movie Central??

Pages : [1] 2

Rainy
2008-09-05, 03:12 AM
Am I the only subscriber bothered by the increasing number of non-movies on Movie Central, esp on MC4 but also on the others sometimes. I am paying premium prices for 'premium' movie channels, so I'm not happy with movies being replaced by more & more 'series'......:mad:

petedran
2008-09-05, 10:22 AM
I actually love the series dexter, entourage, sopranos, six feet under etc. they were the reason i got the movie channel. however the lack of HD movies they show is annoying.

gesundheit
2008-09-05, 12:04 PM
Same here, I like some of the series, helps make up for the lack of HBO. But I'd watch more movies if they ever had any good ones in HD (maybe one per month these days).

hockeymancw
2008-09-05, 12:10 PM
I like the series too, what I hate is the, "behind the scenes/making of", shows that consistently replay. The grizzly rage making of has been on for months now.

jwt873
2008-09-05, 12:17 PM
I'm not that fond of series and there are all sorts of series on the other channels.... I got the movie channels to watch movies. So, count me as one who would rather watch a movie on a movie channel rather than back to back episodes of Stunt Dawgs.

supergenius
2008-09-05, 12:21 PM
If it weren't for the series (Dexter, Stargate, Entourage etc) I wouldn't have Movie Central. I usually DL or buy movies long before they end up on MC.

Rainy
2008-09-05, 12:27 PM
I'm with you JWT. Series should be shown on regular channels, not 'premium movie channels' where we pay a premium which isn't that cheap.... I have less choice now but pay more ;o(

FortMacDude
2008-09-05, 12:34 PM
I'd like a 70/30 split of movies to TV series..

Keep the good HBO and Showtime stuff..but drop any other filler TV series'

Nanuuk
2008-09-05, 03:39 PM
I'm with Rainy. MC ought not to be allowed to carry non movies. Or at the least, the CRTC should force them to unbundle a channel if they want to do this. I've subscribed since the beginning (Superchannel/First Choice) to to-day's Movie Central. Over the years, they've morphed into multiple channels showing very few first run movies supplanted by tv series. The service has gone downhill in a big way. As soon as Stargate Atlantis is off the air, I may give the new Superchannel a go,

Rainy
2008-09-05, 04:11 PM
So, if they ought not to do this, what can we do as subscribers to protest, except to each other? I have complained to my cable provider (AccessComm) , they who gets the money, but that was a waste of time. they told me to complain to MC, which I did, & all I got was automated replies that annoyed me even further. When I complained to AccessComm, they told ME to write them a 'letter' withh CC to CRTC.... Why should I have to do that? Should AC not deal with that on my behalf? grrrrr :(

Nanuuk
2008-09-05, 07:30 PM
CRTC sets the conditions of license so if you are incensed enough, file a complaint with them. Seems to me you are also required to carbon copy the company you are complaining against. For me the, the surest way, is to simply cancel the service. If their subscriber rates go down enough, signalling to management that something is wrong, perhaps they will change their operation.

Rainy
2008-09-05, 08:28 PM
But but, that would be cutting off my nose to spite my face? I love my movies & have few other options. I don't download movies & don't like buying or stocking DVDs.. I don't mind waiting until they're 'out' on MC..... I may go the letter route to CRTC with CC to MC & AC.... I'm ticked at them too.....:(

Stan Dev
2008-09-06, 06:35 PM
You seem to think that the series are displacing the movies. If they were forced to eliminate the series, all you would get is even more repeats of the same movies (and "making of..." filler) they already show over and over again. Or perhaps they would just drop some of the channels, because it seems clear that they can't get or can't afford enough appealing movie content to fill 4 SD and 2 HD channels.

I suppose they could satisfy you by corraling all the series into one or two of the existing channels and rebranding them as "The Series Channel(s)", but that would just provide an opening for the providers to charge separately for those channels, thus increasing the price for those of us who enjoy both the movies and the series.

You may well conclude that you aren't getting enough movies from MC for your money, but I don't think eliminating the series would fix that.

Rainy
2008-09-06, 07:21 PM
Of course the series are displacing the movies...... this is a premium "movie" channel.... & there have always been repeats. I don't mind that as I can't always watch when they are premiered...... I have a life outside TV...... What I often do it tape them so I can watch any time I want. Having repeats means I can tape them during the day or during the night so it doesn't disturb my evening viewing.....

JohnnyCanuck
2008-09-06, 07:25 PM
First, you are confusing a branding issue (the name "Movie Central") with licensing terms and conditions. Movie Channel is licensed as a "pay television" by the CRTC. The CRTC defines that category of services as:
A service consisting mostly of movies (ex. The Movie Network, the Family Channel, etc.). Advertising is not allowed. Can only be received through a subscription with a distributor of television services (ex. cable, satellite, etc.)

Notwithstanding the number of series that might be aired at any time, there is no question that, as a whole, the entire Movie Central spectrum of channels is "mostly" movies. There is also no question that each individual channel meets that test. Furthermore, the other networks licensed similarly (eg. The Movie Network) also show series. Even Superchannel is airing series as well (eg. Burn Notice).

In other words, just because they chose a certain name does not mean that Corus is anywhere near non-compliance with the requirements of the CRTC.

As a personal observation, the first-run HBO/Showtime series are what makes Movie Central viable. Absent that programming, subscriber base would shrink dramatically. Starting with me.

Stan Dev
2008-09-06, 07:53 PM
Rainy: Is your beef then that the series are cutting into repeat opportunities for the movies, so much so that you miss some movies despite having a recorder? That certainly hasn't been my experience. There are enough MC channels that almost all of their movies get repeated numerous times. Occasionally, a movie will only be shown once or twice, but I assume that's because of licensing arrangements, not because the series are taking up too many slots in the line-up.

Or is your complaint the one that JohnnyCanuck suggests, that channels called "Movie Central" are not 100% movies? I.e., is it just a matter of the name not matching the content? Would they have been better named something like "HBO Canada"?

dm_4u
2008-09-06, 09:26 PM
Without the HBO series...why would anyone want MC?

The Sopranos had a cult following...same with Entourage...(tomorrow night guys)...Dexter...Six Feet Under...etc etc etc...

You can rent far better movies...in Blu-Ray...for better picture and sound...and better movies...

The only thing better would be if the CRTC allowed HBO-HD into Canada...but that is for another thread...

VuMax
2008-09-06, 09:48 PM
The series are just as valuable to me as the movies. I subscribe to MC for premium content, not just movies. Dumping the series for an increased number of repeats is the strangest argument I've come across.

james99
2008-09-06, 11:19 PM
If MC is like TMN then consider yourself lucky that MC has these series. Without them the channel wouldn't exist.

IMHO by the time a movie hits a channel like HBO/TMN/MC it's pretty old.

Mixar69
2008-09-12, 04:19 PM
I always thought it would be a good idea for movie channels to air music videos instead of those stupid shorts or the same previews 2 or 3 times between movies. ;).

BTW on the topic I'm with having movie channels play only movies and series on series channel. I'd say if their going to play series then dedicate a channel strictly for series and leave the movies to the movie channels.