: vista sharing question?

Kevin007
2008-07-31, 05:19 PM
ok... I have 2 PC, 1 a laptop and 1 a desktop 2 fresh vista installs.....on the PC I have a 500gb hd and a 320gb hd... the 500gb is a new drive the 320 is almost full I partitioned the 500 to 1 part 90gb and the rest to another.. the vista OS is on the 90 gb part. the rest is used for storage...

now... I set up the sharing... all the permissions are set to full.. on the laptop... I don't share anything... now from the laptop the 320 is wide open.. can do anything on I wish... delete transfer etc. but the rest of the 500 is NOT.. I see it on my laptop...but it says access is denied error code 0x80070005 and when I hit "diagnose" it says that I have the named type wrong or the user don't match....

but it works on the 320 fine and everything is the same... even turned the firewall off... I googled the error code and came up with crap that I don't understand.... can someone please help me out???

stampeder
2008-08-01, 02:27 AM
Are you trying to do that as Administrator? If not, I think that's the problem:Error code 0x80070005

Symptom
When you try to use a KMS host, a KMS client, or a MAK to activate one or more computers, you may receive the following error message:
0x80070005
Access denied the requested action requires elevated privileges.

Cause
This issue occurs if User Access Control (UAC) does not let the activation processes run in a non-elevated command prompt.

Workaround
To work around this issue, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as.
2. Click The following user, and then select Administrator in the User name list.
3. Click OK.
4. At a command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
slmgr.vbshttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/938450

KMS = Key Management Service (for business/enterprise volume licensing management)

cyclo
2008-08-01, 08:45 AM
Do these computers belong to the same Workgroup or Domain? Also you might want to explicitly share a network drive/directory in which case you will be prompted to enter an admin userid and password of the remote PC sharing the drive/directory before the share actually works.

When prompted, you will have to enter the computer name first followed by a backslash then the admin user name on that remote machine... example: "remotePC01\adminUserID" on the name textbox then the password of this user on the remotePC01 machine. Or if it is a domain: "domainName\domainUserID" then the corresponding password.