: TV Audio Mute Annoyance

gnunn
2008-07-28, 10:53 AM
My pet peeve are TVs that don't have a way to turn off the speakers from a remote control without displaying an annoying 'Mute' message. My Samsung 4661 does this and it means that when I want to listen to the show using my 5.1 setup I have to turn the TV volume down manually rather then have the Harmony do it automatically.

dscott01
2008-07-28, 02:41 PM
There is a way to turn off the speakers on most TV's by going into the TV menu. The harmony can be set up with a macro to go into the TV's menu and select "speaker off". If the TV didn't say "mute" on the screen when the TV is muted there would be many support calls and returned TV's as people might hit the mute button by accident, and assume something went wrong with the speakers on the TV.

stampeder
2008-07-28, 03:19 PM
when I want to listen to the show using my 5.1 setupI take that to mean that you are using an AV 5.1 receiver/speakers and the receiver is putting MUTE on the screen when it is muted, or is it the TV's own 5.1 audio?

gnunn
2008-07-28, 04:52 PM
I'm talking about the mute on the television so you can listen through the receiver. On the 4661 you get a nice box saying "Mute Enabled" which makes the mute function useless. As per the other poster, the 4661 does have this function buried in a menu and I did try coding a macro for it in Harmony but the performance of the macro was brutal. I tried speeding up the delays in the Harmony but any faster and the macro would not not, so I was out of luck.

kev604
2008-07-29, 02:06 AM
My pet peeve are TVs that don't have a way to turn off the speakers from a remote control without displaying an annoying 'Mute' message. My Samsung 4661 does this and it means that when I want to listen to the show using my 5.1 setup I have to turn the TV volume down manually rather then have the Harmony do it automatically.

If you have a 5.1 setup then why would you ever have the TV speakers turned on or TV volume turned up to begin with?

stampeder
2008-07-29, 02:40 AM
If you have a 5.1 setup then why would you ever have the TV speakers turned on or TV volume turned up to begin with?That's what I'm trying to figure out. Why wouldn't you permanently disable the audio on the HDTV, gnunn?

gnunn
2008-07-29, 08:52 AM
No reason in particular, it just seems like a waste to have the receiver on when I'm just watching regular TV and have no need for 5.1 sound. This is not a major issue, just something I wish TV manufacturers would include as a standard feature. My old Sony LCD projection set allowed me to turn the speakers off with a discrete code and it was great.

vmpv
2008-07-29, 07:17 PM
I did try coding a macro for it in Harmony but the performance of the macro was brutal. I tried speeding up the delays in the Harmony but any faster and the macro would not not, so I was out of luck.

What's the model of the Harmony? I have a nine step sequence on mine to turn the CC on and off and it works great. I also programed a 12 step sequence for my Mom to do a channel scan on her STB that also works like a charm. Just takes a bit of time. You do know you can get about 3 or 4 button presses in one step in a sequence with a bit of trial and error?

I_Want_My_HDTV
2008-07-29, 07:49 PM
In my experience, turning the TV volume to zero is the best option. Mute does not do a good job. OTOH, I rarely turn the TV volume above zero. The A/V system handles all sound.

gnunn
2008-07-29, 10:41 PM
I have a Harmony 880, I don't think the delay issue is a problem with the Harmony, rather the TV does not work well with codes sent in rapid succession.

80'sMan
2008-07-30, 04:49 AM
No reason in particular, it just seems like a waste to have the receiver on when I'm just watching regular TV and have no need for 5.1 sound.

I'm not sure what you mean by waste. Even regular programs sound better through the HT system than only using the TV (not to mention hearing the news in a cathedral sound field, LOL) . I would find it a waste not to use something that a person invests a great deal of $$$ and time into.
I have an older Hitachi TV (in our 2nd HT system) that I've owned for over 6 years and have never heard it's internal speakers once. :D

mfabien
2008-07-30, 06:38 AM
My TV speakers are OFF and use the a/v receiver full time.

When my wife is in the house, I punch "Night" on my 880 (a receiver option on the Activity menu) and that kills the sub output. And when she tells me she's going to bed, I plug in the headphones in the receiver jack input.