: samsung pn58a550

wii360
2008-07-15, 03:42 PM
Im buying this tv this week and need to know whether getting the the extended warranty is worth it. It says it has two year factory warranty but im been reading online where it says its only one. Also since i cant find any threads about this tv, anyone have this tv that can give me an honest opinion.

hugh
2008-07-15, 03:51 PM
Lots of threads on Extended warranty in these forums. Just search on Extended. The general consensus including those of Consumer Reports is don't waste your money on Extended warranty.

Re Samsung. Get a Panny or Pionner.

wii360
2008-07-15, 04:03 PM
Want the pioneer 6020 but dont have that much money. Even though my friend is giving me the tv at almost what they get it for at staff price. The differnce is almost a thousand dollars. Plus im putting it on the futureshop credit card. Whole year no payments and no interest. So depending on how much i get approved for it'll be either the samsung if I get approved for $2000, the panny if its $2500 or the pioneer if its $3000. If i get approved for more then great but either way im still looking at paying a $1000 up front no matter the tv i get. It all depends on how much i get approved for.

2008-07-16, 09:47 PM
For EW see: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17872

AElvix
2008-07-17, 11:41 AM
There's nothing wrong with Samsung Plasmas, especially since they're usually priced well below the equivalent Panasonic (often on sale) with very comparable picture/features. Yes, they come with a 2 yr. warranty (3 with the right credit card) so an extended warranty should not be necessary. I bought a HPT5054 last boxing day at a very good price (for 7 months ago) and have no regrets. Wish I could have got a 58" 1080P model, but they were too pricey back then :-)

wii360
2008-07-18, 06:22 PM
So i got the tv home today, looks great. Only problem im having is is the whites. Compared to my old projection lcd the whites look washed out and not really white. Maybe thats how the whites are actually supposed to look but its a little off. NHL o8 looks really different cause of the all the white on screen at once. Ive adjusted all the using digital video essential dvd i bought few years ago (t works wonders) but the whites still off. Any one know if there any settings that need to be adjusted.

2008-07-19, 12:28 AM
Check out the following post on the topic:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76161

scratchieepants
2008-07-23, 10:27 AM
I found a similar issue with NHL08 with my Samsung plasma as well. Just jot down your calibrated settings, then just switch to Warm1 or Normal colour temp when playing NHL08, makes the ice a lot whiter.

But after becoming accustomed to Warm2, I don't bother anymore, the other colour temps hurt my eyes.