: Syntax-Brillian files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy (makers of Olevia HDTVs)

hugh
2008-07-08, 03:02 PM
U.S. television set and digital camera maker Syntax-Brillian Corp filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on Monday after a year of weak sales, litigation, executive changes, accounting problems and liquidity concerns. (http://uk.reuters.com/article/rbssConsumerGoodsAndRetailNews/idUKBNG26101120080708)

JohnnyG
2008-07-08, 04:46 PM
What a mess. It'll be interesting to read their restructuring plans.

zyad
2008-07-20, 02:07 PM
Hmmm... I was considering getting a 55 inch Olevia LCD set. Now this news has me a little nervous with regards to warranty etc... Does anyone know how this bankruptcy news will affect those with sets still under warranty? I would hate to be left in the dark if the thing kaputs within the first year.

BCScott
2008-07-20, 05:13 PM
I don't think Olevia was known for great warranty service before they filed for bankruptcy.

zyad
2008-07-20, 06:24 PM
Yes I know... But at least it was something: I mean if your set goes dead you can expect some type of replacement (it might take a few phone calls maybe). A 55" inch LCD for $1,600 is a steal. It's not like Sharps etc... don't have their share of problems either.

I_Want_My_HDTV
2008-07-25, 02:45 AM
That affects the US company. The situation in Canada may be different and the newly formed Olevia International Group LLC may assume warranty coverage. Besides, how many working TVs fail in the first year? Not many... :cool:

hoodlum
2008-07-25, 01:21 PM
That affects the US company. The situation in Canada may be different and the newly formed Olevia International Group LLC may assume warranty coverage. Besides, how many working TVs fail in the first year? Not many... :cool:
For Rear Projection you can expect a significantly higher failure rate than for other types. According to CR they have on average an 18% failure rate during the first 3 years.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=73439&highlight=rear+reliability