: Input Switch For Sony Bravia: Satellite and OTA?

oldave
2008-07-08, 12:31 AM
I'm waiting for delivery of my Sony Bravia KDL32L4000 HDTV (32") LCD...
I looked at the "Manual" online from some source,
and noticed that there is only 1 Satellite/Cable connector on this model of Sony HDTV for Satellite/Cable or Antenna connections.
I understand that I need an "A/B" type of switch to change back & forth from Satellite to Antenna (OTA)...???
My question is "How Sophisticated" of a switching device do I need, and what benifits are there in
a more costly switching device...
Thankyou in advance for any help or info...
I`m a newbie to HDTV...

stampeder
2008-07-08, 03:31 AM
oldave, you should be able to run your Satellite receiver into your new HDTV using either its HDMI, Composite, or S-VHS connectors, depending on which is available on both the satellite box and the TV. That takes care of that. :) For OTA you just need to run an antenna lead into the antenna/cable input and then do a scan for channels.

What is your location?

oldave
2008-07-08, 08:11 AM
Thanks Stampeder...
I`m located in Southern Ontario (London)
I am still somewhat confused though...
My STB is not HD,I will buy a HD STB in the near future...
Are you saying that when I connect my satellite STB (It has both S-Video and Composite connections) through HDMI or Composite connections to the HDTV, it "frees-up" the Cable/Satellite "coax input" on my HDTV, thereby allowing me to connect an Antenna directly to the HDTV coax connector...???
If so, do I then "Switch" between the inputs on my TV/Remote control...to switch from Satellite to Antenna (OTA)...???
Thanks again for any help for this "Old Newbie"...

oldave...

2008-07-08, 10:07 AM
Yes, you connect the Satellite STB to one input of the TV and connect the Antenna to the "RF-Coax" input. You then select the input you want to watch on your TV.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76085 Cables & Connections

You can connect the current SD STB via the S-video or composite video connection since you say you'll be getting an HD STB (and analogue audio for the audio). If you have an AV Receiver, you'll need to connect audio to it separately or instead of to the TV.

oldave
2008-07-08, 03:30 PM
Thanks so much for your Help & Info...
Things seem much clearer now...!!!
BUT...I`m sure I`ll be back with some more "Newbie" questions now and then...
This site is terrific...for an older guy like me...!!!
I am technically inclined, as I rebuild and restore old Vacuum Tube Radios/Amplifiers etc...But HDTV is all new to me...!!!
BTW...I do have an old Sony STR AV770 Receiver
that I`ll be connecting everything to for now.
*I`m going to upgrade to a 45 watts per channel Class A Integrated Tube Amplifier and a"High-End" SACD Player next year...
I am going to have one "Kick-Ass" Stereo and Home Theatre System eventually...!!!
Thanks again Guys...!!!

oldave...

2008-07-08, 03:35 PM
Check out the following post, useful for those "new" to the technology.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741