: Subscription version of Microsoft Office announced

hugh
2008-07-02, 05:13 PM
Microsoft said today it would begin selling its Office suite of programs and computer security software to American home owners on a subscription basis beginning July 15th. (http://www.digitalhome.ca/content/view/2642/206/)

Interesting. At $70 a year for three computers, its pretty reasonable. You get Word, Excel, Powerpoint, OneNote and OneCare.

Only in U.S. in July but I assume it will come to Canada soon after.

Dr.Dave
2008-07-02, 06:33 PM
Doesn't seem like a good deal to me - unless you want OneCare. U.S residents can order Office Home Edition from Newegg for $110 with free shipping for a permanent licence on 3 PCs.

hugh
2008-07-02, 06:47 PM
I think for average home owners who want an all-in-one solution with up-to-date office and security software, the price seems reasonable. Most commercial anti-virus solutions are $50 or so a year so its well within the ballpark.

(I know, I know, you can get free office suites and free anti-virus software but I'm talking about the average consumer)

Dog Byte
2008-07-03, 12:50 PM
Up to date is overrated. I'm still using Corel WordPerfect8 (1997) because it still works and I'm familiar with it.

danbcman
2008-07-03, 02:02 PM
My worries is after one year and for what ever reason you don't renew then you have files you may not even be able to open?

To me software is like a hammer or any other tool once you buy it is there when you need it.

Just my veiw as I see it once the software becomes a the item on a fee basis then its like you in your car pulling up to a gas station only to find the place is closed or you are for what ever reason banned from filling up.
Slippery slope for me. This is in my view is a sollution because of the inablility of a system (company)to stop theift or loaning issues.

hugh
2008-07-03, 02:36 PM
As long as you have paid for the application, you'll be able to open your files! If you don't want to subscribe, then just buy the desktop application.

Vexsloth
2008-07-03, 05:08 PM
About 8 years ago I remember using StarOffice when it was released for free. Just recently I installed OpenOffice (a derivative of StarOffice) and I was amazed... I would highly recommend it to anyone. MS Office for $70/yr or OpenOffice for $0/yr does not take a long time to deliberate.