: 780G/Bravia XBR HDMI Detection Issues

CanadaRox
2008-07-01, 11:18 PM
I originally posted this on another forum, more specific to overclocking and such, and haven't had much success, so my friend told me to post it here because there are tons of people that know their stuff. So here we go...

I've been trying to get my HTPC/server set up, but I've been having some trouble with HDMI. If I set the input to the PC, and then turn it on, everything works fine until I switch the input to anything other than the PC. After I switch it from the PC, and back to it, the HDMI signal is gone and the screen just stays black. The same thing happens if I start the PC before going to the input for the TV.

The motherboard (and gpu) is the GA-MA78GM-S2H (with an onboard HD3200). The TV is a Sony Bravia 46in XBR (pretty sure its this one: http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=1004216&navigationPath=n32050n100472n100444). The O/S is XP 64-bit (as I have 4GB of RAM in it) and is running SP2.

I've tried different version of Catalyst with no success as well as different resolutions and refresh rates, any other suggestions would be great.

2008-07-01, 11:48 PM
Lots of HDMI issues discussed in the following post.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71112

I seem to recall several other recent posts where people have issues if they don't do things with PCs in a certain order due to handshake issues - I don't recall any resolutions. See also the following thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=54306

And the following post, useful for new members to the forum:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

jlet
2008-07-02, 05:27 PM
I think you should at least use the latest Catalyst Software version (8.6). HDMI issues (known and resolved) are common places in the release notes. Yours may be yet another unresolved HDMI issue. Another solution is to use Component Video (CV), if ATI makes a dongle (HDMI/DVI to CV adapter) for your integrated ATI Radeon HD 3200 product.

recneps77
2008-07-02, 06:58 PM
Lots of people have problems with HDMI and this board.
(I have it to, but don't use it with a TV.. yet.. who knows in the future :p)
Basically, if it works, it works, otherwise, its not you.
You can only hope that future driver releases fix it.
Otherwise, try DVI/VGA if the tv has the inputs and connect the sound through RCA/optical/however you wish.

CanadaRox
2008-07-02, 10:08 PM
I think you should at least use the latest Catalyst Software version (8.6). HDMI issues (known and resolved) are common places in the release notes. Yours may be yet another unresolved HDMI issue. Another solution is to use Component Video (CV), if ATI makes a dongle (HDMI/DVI to CV adapter) for your integrated ATI Radeon HD 3200 product.
I'm using the newest version, so hopefully they'll address the issue in a future driver.

Lots of people have problems with HDMI and this board.
(I have it to, but don't use it with a TV.. yet.. who knows in the future :p)
Basically, if it works, it works, otherwise, its not you.
You can only hope that future driver releases fix it.
Otherwise, try DVI/VGA if the tv has the inputs and connect the sound through RCA/optical/however you wish.

I'll probably end up using VGA and the best quality sound the board is capable of, at least until the drivers have solved the problem.

I also just tried using two profiles with different resolutions and switching between them while on the HDMI input with no signal, and again, nothing.

PPL4GOLF
2008-07-02, 10:39 PM
I had the same issue and problem seemed to be gone after I 'forced' HDTV...check all the boxes listed for NTSCs (1920x1080 & 1280x720, etc)

I still have the odd problem after I flipped the input on the TV to watch something else, no video after that :~(

The other thing that gave me problem every single time was if I connect both VGA and HDMI, the HDMI seemed to be dropped despite selecting 'clone' etc.

CanadaRox
2008-07-03, 01:12 AM
I've tried forcing the HDTV setting (all resolutions) but still nothing.