: Vista: optical and analog audio active at the same time?

toybox
2008-06-21, 05:07 PM
I've been racking my brain out trying to figure out if there was a way to have both optical and analog audio active at the same time.

Reason? - I have one video going to a monitor that has only analog inputs. Another video going to to a projector and that audio goes into a home theater with optical inputs. It is a severe pain to go into the menus and manually switch between the two all the time.

Any work arounds? (I've tried installing a seperate sound card, but that didn't work)

thanks

running Vista.

Berty
2008-06-22, 10:46 AM
I feel your pain. What this world needs is a profiling program that allows a user to define device settings based on executables being opened. Video cards have such programs, but I've seen nothing for audio yet.

technut
2008-06-22, 01:31 PM
Perhaps some kind of Windows macro program to automate the switch? Should make it a one-click or one-keycombination operation.

toybox
2008-06-22, 08:40 PM
THought about that. Here is why this is a big deal for us. We used to have a Shaw PVR and it was hooked up analog to TV and Optical to Theater, and we used both independently, and shaw's box had all outputs active at the same time. Now that we are trying an HTPC, we want the same functionality. I just assumed (bad mistake) that if I bought a MOBO with optical outs that they would all be active at the same time or least could set them up that way.

technut
2008-06-22, 10:27 PM
The Virtual Audio Cable program (http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.html) will supposedly do what you want, but from what I've read (http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/permalink/158117/268205/ShowThread.aspx#268205) it only supports stereo and not 5.1 output. There are some other ideas there though.

toybox
2008-06-24, 06:16 PM
Can't say I understand it, at the first glance, but not being 5.1 isn't going to work for us.
Right now I have the optical outputs active, and ran analog from the headphones jack of my receiver to the TV. So the only thing I have to do, is pull the jack out to activate the dolby digital inputs to the receiver.
Obvious downside is the receiver has to be on all the time, even when only using the TV. And remembering to plug/unplug the jack. It saves me the hassle of going into menus and changing digital/analog and then having to restart whatever program I'm using.