: USB Infrared Adapter Question

FLACer
2008-06-17, 12:07 PM
I just bought a Syba USB Infrared Adapter so that I could transfer files between my computer and my cell phone.

I plugged the IR adpator in a USB port, XP recognized it and then automatically installed the appropriate drivers. I then turned the IR connectivity on for my cell phone, XP recognized the new hardware and then installed the appropriate drivers for this as well.

I now have a shortcut on my desktop which says "Send Files To Another Computer" and when I click on it, it allows me to do just that - send files. However, what I want to do is to receive files from my cell phone but there doesn't appear to be any option to do this. I want to have the cell phone show up under Windows Explorer as another drive in order to be able to transfer files back and forth. The manual for my phone says it is capable of both sending and receiving files via IR, so am I simply missing a critical piece of software here that would allow me to accomplish this? :confused: (My cell phone didn't come with any sort of installation CD or anything.)

As always, thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

QuickSilver
2008-06-17, 12:18 PM
Some cell phones from some cell providers lock that feature out. What phone is it and what provider?

FLACer
2008-06-17, 12:25 PM
It's a Nokia 6103 on Rogers Wireless.

FLACer
2008-06-17, 07:09 PM
Through a combination of installing the latest version of Nokia PC Suite and tweaking the settings of the IR adaptor, I was finally able to get it up and running the way it should be. I can now transfer files back and forth between the phone and the PC with no problem whatsoever.

This is the first time I've ever used IR technology for data transfer and I must say it is a pretty neat and efficient way to accomplish this. (Of course, we're talking about files that aren't that big in size to begin with.)

JmanBC
2008-06-18, 03:26 AM
Bluetooth for the win.