: Home Theatre system for computer

Xeloss
2008-06-14, 03:43 PM
Hi, I recently acquired a home theatre system ,'http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10084144&catid=14700'

I would like to use this for my Home computer, but how would i set it up for it? Do i need a new soundcard, a reciever, amp..? I'm new to this kind of stuff and would love your guys input on it.

Thanks.

recneps77
2008-06-14, 04:10 PM
That depends on the connections on the sound set.
Most likely, you'll need something like this (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5143~r.20178216).

granduncle
2008-06-14, 04:15 PM
Those don't look like PC speakers, therefore to make them work you need to power them either with an amp or receiver.
The first option would require the audio to be decoded in the PC and output to the amp as analog.
The second will work even when audio is sent over digital and decoded in the receiver. Most receivers today also work as amps.

If your PC has digital audio out, I recommend to start with the a receiver setup.

Xeloss
2008-06-14, 04:43 PM
I'm sorry, but i'm pretty new at this..how do I know if my computer has a digital out? I have a ASUS P5N-T Deluxe Motherboard, and i'm on a tight budget, so what would be a cheap reciever that can get the job done? Thanks.

I_Want_My_HDTV
2008-06-14, 07:58 PM
The ASUS P5N-T has S/PDIF digital audio out (it's listed in the features and specs.) All you need is a decent DD 5.1 surround receiver with S/PDIF audio in and a digital audio cable to connect the two. (Any inexpensive 75 ohm cable will do.) You may need to tweak the audio driver settings to get the digital out to work properly.

granduncle
2008-06-14, 07:59 PM
I'm sorry, but i'm pretty new at this..how do I know if my computer has a digital out?
You read the specs...;)
Yours does have both flavours: coax and optical
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=1&model=1981&l1=3&l2=11&l3=610&l4=0
S/PDIF-out on Back I/O Port
This motherboard provides convenient connectivity to external home theater audio systems via coaxial and optical S/PDIF-out (SONY-PHILIPS Digital Interface) jacks. It allows to transfer digital audio without converting to analog format and keeps the best signal quality. Decent receivers will start around $400...

Xeloss
2008-07-09, 09:45 PM
I just bought a coaxial digital audio cable, and it doesn't fit! i guess i bought the wrong one. Could someone give me a direct link to a cable from the Reciever - Computer that will offer me some nice 5.1 surround sound? I'm getting puzzled as to how many options i have

I_Want_My_HDTV
2008-07-13, 02:18 PM
The motherboard and most receivers take a standard RCA connector. The cable should be rated at 75 ohms. Any 75 ohm audio or composite video cable with a 75 ohm rating should work. (Hint: Composite video cables are dirt cheap compared to "digital audio" cables and work just as well. Composite video cables are often included with digital TV receivers, video cards and DVD players so you may already have one.)