: Card Swap Story - 3100 - Long

Bobsy
2008-06-13, 10:24 AM
Hi
Between last night and this morning I have spent about 2 hours on the phone with BEV tech support. (about 1 hour on hold)

Yesterday morning I activated the new cards on our 3100 & 4100 receivers. They worked OK.

Last night I tried to use the 3100 and received a message, 019 - Card not inserted properly.

First call - Bell determined the new card must be defective and guided me through a procedure to insert the old card and re-activate the programming until I received a new card in the mail. The programming was supposed to take about 15 minutes to return. ( I had to disconnect the satellite input feed from the receiver and disconnect the power supply. Hopefully they do not expect this of elderly customers or ones who do not have the technical ability)

When the old card was inserted a message, 349 - Card is incompatable with this receiver appears.

Second call - Tech was surprised the programming did not return. He verified card numbers and software version and guaranteed programming will return within 2 hours.

This morning the same error message is on the screen and NO programming.

Third Call - Tech tries again to re- activate the old card but informs me because the new card number is in the "system" it cannot be changed therefore the programming cannot be re - activated using the old card.
He guarantees a new card will be sent out today by express post and because they do not deliver on Saturday I should check at my nearest post office tomorow to see if I can pick it up.

When I receive the new card I am supposed to again call "Tech Support" (and wait my turn on hold) before activating the replacement card.

Also, during this testing the programming on the 4100 was lost for a short period but it did return.

Hopefully not too many people run into this problem.

I am waiting to see what compensation Bell may offer because of this inconvenience.

Ex Agent EV
2008-06-13, 10:46 AM
the new card number is in the "system" it cannot be changed therefore the programming cannot be re - activated using the old card

If the number of the new card was the number they had in their system there is no way it would have worked with the old card in. They should have advised you to put the new card in and try to send a hit. Maybe you could try that in the meantime.
When I was there it was always possible to change the card number or receiver number to the previous one. It is possible that systems have changed, but I think what the agent said is "********"

I am waiting to see what compensation Bell may offer because of this inconvenience

Cost of programming divided by 2 (since you have 2 receivers) divided by 30 (30 days billing period) = your credit if missing for only 1 day or multiply by the number of days missing.
Cost of programming divided by 2 (since you have 2 receivers) divided by 30 (30 days billing period) divided by 24 (24 hours a day) multiply by the number of hours it was missing = you credit
If you are lucky the agent might decide to credit like a 10-20$ but as a basic rule he should follow the previously stated formula

dosborne
2008-06-13, 11:51 AM
Out of a couple of million new cards, it is expected that a few will be DOA or DO shortly after A. This is common of any technology.

You could request a satisfaction credit. These are typically in the $25-$30 range for your trouble and are not based on the number of hours of downtime.

Bobsy
2008-06-13, 02:54 PM
The new number was entered in their system and the new card activated and worked initally.

In the evening I received an error message - Card Not Inserted Properly

Then as EX Agent suggested I was instructed to re - insert the new card and a hit was sent. It was during this process they determined the new card was defective and an attempt was made to activate the old card with the old number. At this point the agent pretty well guaranteed the numbers were changed and programming would return.

It failed!

It was this morning another agent informed me that the new number cannot be removed from the system therefore the old card cannot be re - activated.

I tend to agree with Ex Agent with that statement being"**** ****"

BoogieManX
2008-06-14, 02:05 AM
Once you get your new Smart Cards activated, there is no way to get old smart cards to work agian.

In some very rare cases, you can use the old card and it will give you programming but you may loose it in few hrs or days, possibly before your new card arrives.

The only way to tell if your old card will work is to try it. If it is going to work, it will work right away without any hits. But if you get error 349 then you're out of luck.