: Hitachi 51F500 Questions

Keosuke
2008-06-09, 12:20 AM
Hey guys/girls, I have a couple of quick questions about our HDTV that I was hoping you could answer. I've checked around and haven't been able to figure it out D:

First of all, I'm 99% sure that the HDTV has auto brightness/contrast and it's driving me nuts. I mainly use the HDTV for gaming with my PS3 and Xbox 360 and during bright scenes (like during golf, when the game camera points to the sky) the television automatically makes everything darker. It looks seriously out of place and most of the time makes everything really hard to see. I've tried fixing this in the televisions options but there aren't any for auto-brightess or auto-contrast, and changing the original brightness or contrast settings doesn't help. I can make the screen brighter, but it'll just go darker again when the TV decides it's needed.

Also, the sides of the HDTV seem blurry. I've tried Magic Focus in the options but that doesn't help (even though I'm not completely sure it would anyways). The center of the screen looks great and I always make sure to sit perfectly center to the television screen, but the further the image goes to the sides of the screen the worse the quality of the picture is.

If anyone could help me solve any of these problems I'd be forever in your debt. I'm not an expert with HDTV's but I have done a lot of searching before deciding to post here, so hopefully I'm not being too stupid with my questions. Thanks so much for any help and if you guys need any more information just let me know ^^

2008-06-09, 12:54 AM
Here's a thread to help you with the convergence. I assume this is the problem with the colours not lining up quite right... I believe your model also has a user manual convergence without having to go into the DCAM convergence. If this is the case, simply perform it - it's usually described in the operating manual right after Magic Focus.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=9539

Regarding your auto-contrast, I can not answer that specific question, but you could try going through every setting in the user menu to see if that's there somewhere. Or perhaps download the operating manual and do a search for "auto" or "contrast" or something like that. Perhaps someone with the same TV can help.

A thought - if the TV has some sort of light sensor, perhaps it's labelled in the operating manual and referenced in its use, or perhaps you could tape over the sensor?

Here are some other posts which may be helpful while you're waiting for others to respond:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741 Newbie Tips

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76161 TV Setup.

Keosuke
2008-06-09, 04:53 AM
Awesome, thanks so much, 57. I'll try out what I can with that really helpful information and write back here if I'm able to get everything fixed.

timbo
2008-06-18, 03:07 AM
Here is a thought about the 'auto-brightness' that you mention.

The 51f500 model is a few years old now.
Is it possible that during a very bright scene the television's power supply is strained and the result is a loss of brightness?