: I.E. doesn't allow links to open new tab.

BCScott
2008-06-08, 12:58 PM
For some reason, internet explorer suddenly won't allow a new tab to open when I click a link. If the link is set up to redirect the browser to a new link, that works, but if it's meant to open in a new tab, the original tab goes dull but a new tab doesn't start. I'm using XP sp2. If I use Mozilla, all is normal. Any ideas?

GTCameras
2008-06-08, 11:50 PM
For some reason, internet explorer suddenly won't allow a new tab to open when I click a link. If the link is set up to redirect the browser to a new link, that works, but if it's meant to open in a new tab, the original tab goes dull but a new tab doesn't start. I'm using XP sp2. If I use Mozilla, all is normal. Any ideas?

I'm sorry that I don't have a clean answer for you, but I can walk you closer to a solution....

1. Has IE worked for you in the past? In other words, is this tab problem new? If IE has never worked for you in the past, are you sure you have enough power (specifically RAM) to run it? If it has worked for you in the past, go to step 2.

2. Have you tried doing a full shut down (not just a restart), waiting for a few minutes, then rebooting and seeing if the problem persists? If yes, go to step 3. If no, go to Start-Turn Off Computer-Shut Down, wait until your computer shuts itself down, wait for a few minutes and then reboot. If problem persists after the reboot, go to step 3.

3. Open up IE, go to Tools-Internet Options. Towards the bottom, you'll see a section marked 'Tabs'. To the right, you'll see a button marked "Settings". Click on that. Do you have tabs enabled? If that box isnt' checked, check it. What else have you got checked off in there?

Let me know what else you have checked off and I'll test it on my end to see what is going on for you.

BCScott
2008-06-09, 12:18 AM
It's worked up until a couple of days ago. I've done a few full shut downs since it stopped working. Right now, the following are checked:
Enable tabbed browsing.
Warn me when closing multiple tabs.
Enable quick tabs.
Open new tabs next to current tabs.

stampeder
2008-06-09, 12:31 AM
Which version of IE?

BCScott
2008-06-09, 12:43 AM
7 I think.

GTCameras
2008-06-09, 03:43 AM
It's worked up until a couple of days ago. I've done a few full shut downs since it stopped working. Right now, the following are checked:
Enable tabbed browsing.
Warn me when closing multiple tabs.
Enable quick tabs.
Open new tabs next to current tabs.

Everything is set up fine....

I'm going to assume that you run a tight ship as far as anti-virus, anti-spy, caches, etc....If you don't, you should. Otherwise, I could suggest that you try doing a CTRL-ALT-DEL to check your system performance - it is possible that you have zero free RAM. But, I don't think that's the case.

So, there are two things you could do. Uninstall IE7 and reinstall it. Or just start using Firefox. I use Firefox almost exclusively and it is a superior program in every way.

Which version of IE?

Internet Explorer 7 is the only version that has tabs....

eljay
2008-06-09, 07:35 AM
I Googled ie not opening new tabs and found this thread:

IE7 Internet Explorer hangs indiscriminantly on opening New Tab or Browser (http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2596084&SiteID=1)

There may be something in there that applies to your situation.

JmanBC
2008-06-10, 12:23 PM
Do you have Google Toolbar or Sun Java add-ons installed? Both of these add-ons have been known to cause a variety of bizarre problems with IE7. You can try disabling these add-ons to see if it solves your problem by going to Tools->Manage Add-Ons->Enable or Disable Add-Ons.

BCScott
2008-06-10, 04:41 PM
I don't have either toolbar. I noticed in eljay's link that most users with problems had "windowslive" add-on enabled and by disableing that, their problems were solved. I don't seem to have windowslive either.

BCScott
2008-06-11, 06:38 PM
Re installing IE7 seems to have done the trick.

2008-07-11, 10:51 PM
Re installing IE7 seems to have done the trick.
Next time, try resetting IE7 first. Reinstalling IE7 only works on XP. To reset IE, to go Tools > Advanced > Reset.