: 'Tru2way' TV Discussion

Pages : [1] 2

hoodlum
2008-01-09, 03:17 PM
"Tru2way-ready Viera HDTV

Panasonic announced today that selected models of Viera HDTV will include tru2way technology and are expected to be available at retail later this year. This capability is an added feature to these Panasonic’s Viera HDTV’s that simplifies and improves the total television experience of digital cable television subscribers. In those markets served by Comcast and other cable providers that have upgraded their networks to support tru2way technology, these revolutionary Viera Plasma High Definition televisions are able to access the full range of interactive digital cable video services, including video on demand and interactive program guides without a set-top-box. Panasonic Viera HDTV with tru2way technology provides multiple consumer benefits including less wiring, less unsightly component clutter and simpler operation with a single remote control."

Here is some more info.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/07/cable-may-open-up-just-a-bit/

"Tru2Way is based on an operating system called OpenCable Application Platform that can run programs, downloaded by the cable operator, that can enable all sorts of functions, including video on demand, program guides and various sorts of interactive content.

Many observers have felt the cable industry has dragged its feet on this initiative because it could lose control of whatever advantage it has from full control of the consumer experience. But CableLabs said that cable systems that serve the vast majority of households in the United States will deploy the technology."

99semaj
2008-01-09, 08:39 PM
Finally. I hope this means that CableCard (if that's what this is) can finally reach its true potential. STB's suck!

hoodlum
2008-01-10, 10:10 AM
Unfortunately, there will be many HDTVs without this service. It is too bad this didn't come out 3 years ago.

sailmaker
2008-01-10, 10:44 AM
This two-way version of cablecard needed to be in place years ago. I can't imagine any Canadian cable company "buying into" this technology. Much of their profit is made from rental or sale of STB's. You buy the latest version of a TV with all of its features controlled by an elaborate remote control only to have it negated by the STB's requirement of having to use it's remote. Replacing all of your remotes (DVD, VCR, CD, receiver, etc) with one unit such as a Harmony 880 is reaching the outer limits of those out there who are not so tech savvy as those who frequent this site. I am not reducing those people to neanderthals or luddites ... not everyone has 12-year-old grandchildren to show them how it all comes together with one easy click. Or do I have it all wrong? Again.
sailmaker

Wayne
2008-01-10, 05:13 PM
This two-way version of cablecard needed to be in place years ago. I can't imagine any Canadian cable company "buying into" this technology. Much of their profit is made from rental or sale of STB's. I have said this in many threads - I don't think cable cos make that much profit from boxes. Some of the are even loss leaders to facilitate customers buying more content such as digital channels, PPV and VOD. Rogers occasionally sells their SD cable boxes for $100 less a programming credit of $100. How do they make a profit in that? The HD boxes still do seem very expensive at about $300 for non-PVR and $600 for PVR but we are not sure how much they are paying SA for these units.

But I would love it if Canadian cable cos adopted this technology although that has become less important this week with the announcement of HD capture cards for HTPCs.

polaris
2008-01-10, 06:13 PM
Im thinking the STB's are like cel phones, sold at loss leader or cost pricing. And if you rent, they are holding onto the cost for some time also.

classicsat
2008-01-12, 11:21 AM
I am not sure if Tru2Way is just a renaming of OCAP (which requires host support anyways), or a technology that including providing full two way functionality, also replaces "external" cablecards with an embedded universals security technology.

Whatever the name, it requires TV and STB manufacturers to give a somewhat large degree of control of the TV viewing expierence to the cable providers whims.

rfielder
2008-05-28, 04:29 PM
Sony Corp has signed an agreement with the top U.S. cable companies that leads the way for televisions that can receive digital signals without need for a television set-top box, the National Cable & Telecommunications Association said on Tuesday. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/27/AR2008052702696.html)

The beginning of the end for STB's???

Maybe the first step to a technology that will allow PC's to see digital cable???

One can wish.... :D

hugh
2008-05-28, 05:20 PM
well

I already paid $300 extra for a RPTV that was cablecard enabled and got nothing from it.
All the flat panel sets sold don't have this
Pretty much every flat panel sold this year and next won't have it.

This would have been glorious five years ago before a tens of millions of HDTV's had been sold but now I think its too little too late.

Wayne
2008-05-28, 11:33 PM
I still think that a CableCard type of device would be great but I wonder if we will ever see the cards in Canada and if it will be so locked down with DRM that it will be almost useless - not unlike the CableCard Vista PCs currently available in the US. But with the complexity of HT setups and the prevalence of receivers these days you would more likely want the tuning card in your receiver than in your TV.

hugh
2008-05-29, 08:35 AM
The following is a very good article and commentary for those that are interested.
Can Tru2way succeed where CableCard failed? (http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9953439-1.html)

Wayne
2008-05-29, 08:39 AM
Does anyone know the level of involvement, if any, by the Canadian cable companies? Or are they just going to pretend that it doesn't exist, just like CableCard 1.0?

99semaj
2008-05-29, 12:17 PM
The difference this time around is that the major cablecos in the US are on board (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080527/ap_on_hi_te/cable_boxes;_ylt=AuaG9TRrzWeBcAlsmQxqbt2s0NUE)and the feature gap (VOD, PPV) has been closed.

I think this is a great idea whose time has finally arrived.

Wayne
2008-05-29, 10:54 PM
The difference this time around is that the major cablecos in the US are on board (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080527/ap_on_hi_te/cable_boxes;_ylt=AuaG9TRrzWeBcAlsmQxqbt2s0NUE)and the feature gap (VOD, PPV) has been closed.

I think this is a great idea whose time has finally arrived.I agree that it is a great idea but I am much more interested in Canadian cablecos than US - if the Canadian cablecos are not onside then it is irrelevant for Canadians.

hugh
2008-05-30, 07:42 AM
No announcements by: major CE companies, most other Cable companies around the world. I think you can assume that Canadian companies have little interest at this point. I hope they continue to ignore it.

I hope they save their money and to sit it out until its ubiquitous on U.S. cable systems and almost all televisions have it before they consider it.

Wayne
2008-05-30, 08:48 AM
Why is that hugh? I would love to have such a card here so that it would facilitate third party PVRs such as TiVos and HTPCs - the PVRs from cable companies are vastly inferior products that are overpriced.

hugh
2008-05-30, 10:39 AM
Why is that hugh?

The $300 Cablecard slot in my RPTV which has zero value.

According to the industry, $300 per television is how much more millions of consumers paid for their HDTV for a useless technology that is now obsolete.

Every HDTV in the world does not have a tru2way card so why spend lots of money and develop for something that isn't supported by most CE companies and has zero penetration?

DJDiggler
2008-06-01, 10:38 PM
Also would these be able to hook up to a dish for those of us on sattelite? I'd hate to be forced to pay for a usless cable feature on my TV as would the many millions of sattellite/OTA users. (especially if cable isn't even a option where you live).

Walter Dnes
2008-06-01, 11:15 PM
Also would these be able to hook up to a dish for those of us on sattelite? I'd hate to be forced to pay for a usless cable feature on my TV as would the many millions of sattellite/OTA users. (especially if cable isn't even a option where you live).
And what about those of us fortunate enough to get approx 20 distinct OTA channels, who don't need cable or satellite? (Dig my sig ;))

One question... what does a BUILT-IN cablecard bring to the table that a STB (Set Top Box) can't match? If you bought a TV with a v1.0 cablecard, you're out of luck when v2.0 rolls around. In the case of a STB, just replace the STB.

Wayne
2008-06-01, 11:17 PM
The $300 Cablecard slot in my RPTV which has zero value.

According to the industry, $300 per television is how much more millions of consumers paid for their HDTV for a useless technology that is now obsolete.

Every HDTV in the world does not have a tru2way card so why spend lots of money and develop for something that isn't supported by most CE companies and has zero penetration?I really don't care about such a slot in my TV - I want something like Tru2Way to enable much more flexibility in PVRs. The SA8300HD that I have is horrible in many ways - it is overpriced, underfeatured, has a horrible UI, graphics from a VIC-20, etc. Having something like a decent CableCard would allow us to use HTPCs, TiVos, etc. with cable in Canada which is what I am really after.