: Adding XP computer to existing wireless network

jbracing24
2008-05-27, 12:04 AM
My daughter wants to use my Sympatico DSL internet access with her XP desktop. I can access her computer to my wireless network using the security key and the wireless signal is 4 - 5 bars. BUT, I get the "no connectivity" message.
Up to this point, she has been using her own wireless access point connected to a cable modem.
Will I have to run the Sympatico software CD on her computer in order for her to access the internet through my modem? If so, is there any way to prevent her access to my Sympatico email account?

PakMan
2008-05-27, 12:35 AM
Do you have additional security settings on? ie (mac based security for wireless)
Do you have a limited number of DHCP addresses that your AP uses? What type of AP do you have? Linksys...Bell...D-Link??
Try a static IP?
You shouldn't need to run any software on your daughter's computer. I'm sure there are more suggestions to try but this is a start. :P

cm_soo
2008-05-27, 08:43 AM
You don't need to run the SYmpatico software.
- is her machine getting a dynamic IP (recommended) if so connect to the network and reboot the router (unplug/plug in)
- on her go machine into network neighbourhood and disable the network connection then enable it, also try repair
- is her firewall blocking it? if so open a port for her or turn the firewall off. I have my xp firewall off as the router has a firewall and the pc's are behind it. To make sure go to 'Shields Up' website and confirm the firewall is working.

jbracing24
2008-05-27, 09:20 AM
also try repair

I did try most of that. When I use "repair" it is failing to find an IP address. I have removed the Windows firewall.
My router is from Sony PCWA-R1 but I have had no trouble in the past with an old W98 machine, nor my newer XP laptop. The modem is a SpeedStream and is hardwired to my Sony desktop through the router.
However, I have always loaded the Sympatico software on each of MY machines that I have ever connected. That's the reason I think the software is necessary.

Tanta
2008-05-27, 09:36 AM
Prior to Windows XP, you needed Sympatico or other PPPoe software, but XP supports this directly. Just to add to the other poster's suggestions, did you try to ping the Ip address attributed to your daughter's computer? As already pointed out, connectivity problems are often attributed to 'double firewalls'. Disable the Win XP and just use the router's.

jwt873
2008-05-27, 09:56 AM
If your daughter has a wireless (WiFi) adapter connected to her computer and you are using an external router, then the PPPOE software is not required..

Often when you get a "Limited connectivity" message, there is a problem with the security key... (It could have been entered wrong)...

A connection will be made, but if the key is not correct, the DHCP function won't work and no network address will be assigned. Without the network address, your daughter's computer won't be able to communicate with your router.

Try erasing the security key from the network settings on your daughter's computer and then entering it again making sure it's correct.

jbracing24
2008-05-27, 02:16 PM
Often when you get a "Limited connectivity" message, there is a problem with the security key... (It could have been entered wrong)...

Thank you for that insight. I thought my security key had caps but it turned out that there wasn't. All was well when I reentered the security key in lower case. "Limited connectivity" was the exact message I was getting.
Thanks to all for your replies.