: 52" W3000 6 days old w/stripe...

RacerJason
2008-05-05, 03:18 PM
First post but long time non-member... go easy on me!

Had my Sony 52" W3000 delivered a week ago today (build date on back is April 2008)and just last night while viewing SD shows something odd came up (Starchoice Motorola rec. non-pvr w/ DIV-C to HDMI hookup).

On say, Lonestar the picture is framed in blackscreen yet on the right vertical edge a narrow (like 1 pixel) dashed line runs from the top of the screen to the bottom, not just on the edge of the image....

And on SD channels that are only framed by black vertical a narrow (again 1 pixel) SOLID line runs from the top of the screen to the bottom...

It was not doing this during the first six days. Bizarre no?

RacerJason
2008-05-05, 04:40 PM
If it helps and the tv is behaving the same this evening I could post a picture of each!

Stargazer
2008-05-05, 05:10 PM
I have the same set. It definitely sounds unusual and I don't know what could be causing it. Have you checked your connections?

I had a problem on mine that showed up a couple of weeks after I got it. But the picture froze completely. I ended up exchanging it for another one and haven't had a problem since.

Where did you buy yours from? Do they have a good exchange policy?

2008-05-05, 05:43 PM
IF this happens on only SD channels it's due to a small amount of underscan on the 4:3 channels - I've seen it on the weather channel. I saw this on *C STBs when they were set to output 1080i only. If you set the STB to 0000 or passthrough, then you get a bit of overscan and these effects go away on the SD channels. This is an issue with the STB. The passthrough usually provides better PQ too, but some people don't like the small amount of overscan. I don't believe it's an issue with the TV.

You can also test this by cycling through the various formats with the red button under the front panel. You'll see different amounts of overscan as you go from 1080i to 480i.

I assume you don't see the strip on HD channels.

normancw
2008-05-08, 01:17 AM
What setting do you have under Settings > Screen > Display Area ?

The manual states on page 37:
Full Pixel - Displays the picture for 1080i and 1080p sources in its original size
Normal - Displays the recommended picture area
-1/-2 - Enlarges the picture to hide the edge of the picture

I have it set to:
"Full Pixel" for the HDMI input for the PS3
"Normal" for the HDMI input connected to Rogers SA8300HD PVR

If I set it to "Full Pixel" for the PVR, I get a bit of underscan on some channels.

2008-05-08, 01:35 AM
normancw: That "underscan" doesn't produce a line at the edge of a 4:3 SD channel, it produces something at the edge of the screen as you mention.

The line at the edge of the 4:3 channel is produced by the STB itself doing the "underscan", which can be alleviated usually by changing the *C STB to passthrough, which has a little bit of overscan on the SD channels.

normancw: You can probably see the same effect on your SA8300HD by tuning to a 1080i channel, invoking the "fixed" option under "set picture format" and then tuning to the weather channel - there's a line of "garbage" to the right of the image. Remember to switch back to "passthrough" when you're done the experiment.

Ren
2008-05-08, 03:57 AM
I'd bet it's a setting on your STB as 57 stated, my samsung did this as well until I fiddled around with the red button behind the door on the front of the STB.Check it out.