: Harper won't attend Beijing Olympic curtain raiser

hugh
2008-04-04, 08:48 AM
Canada will play host to the Winter Olympics in 2010 and at least one expert said Mr. Harper's decision may prompt a retaliation from the Chinese. (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080403.wharpertibet04/BNStory/International/home)

Arthur Dent
2008-04-04, 10:30 AM
Yeah, the retaliation is inevitable, and without the Chinese PM attending the Vancouver games are doomed! ;)

Tom_Joad
2008-04-04, 10:39 AM
I'm actually surprised by Harper's decision. He never struck me as someone who actually cared about human rights (over and above the usual political lip service). Guess I'm trying to see his angle here.

However, I'm not surprised at all that Dubya and Brown are attending...

Stargazer
2008-04-04, 11:54 AM
Actually, I heard it was no big deal because Harper wasn't at the opening of the Torino Olympics, either.

Tom_Joad
2008-04-04, 12:10 PM
Maybe he's just like the rest of us who view the Olympics as a colossal waste of time and money. Better things to do, etc.

Luis_A51
2008-04-04, 01:06 PM
Speak for yourself. I enjoy watching the olympics.

eljay
2008-04-04, 04:55 PM
With all due respect, I don't believe he was speaking on your behalf. I believe he was speaking on behalf of "the rest of us who view the Olympics as a colossal waste of time and money" - that is, people like me. :)

Nanuuk
2008-04-04, 06:53 PM
Where it is written that a head of state or a Prime Minister must attend opening ceremonies? And who cares a fig leaf if the Chinese Premier attends or not? The games are for athletes, not politicians (even the IOC ones). Personally, if Mr. Harper doesn't want to attend, for any reason, its o.k. with me. Now Canada's Olympic Games is another matter. Attending the Grey Cup (has to beat Trudeau's opening kick-off) or Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final (assuming a Canadian team is playing) might also prompt a visit.

Exid0r
2008-04-04, 08:50 PM
Apparently Harper is a closet Toronto Maple Leafs fan so it's not likely he will ever be able to attend a Stanley Cup Final involving the Leafs. ;)

/skates away giving the finger