: New Dish Network satellite fails to reach orbit

Pages : [1] 2

james99
2008-03-15, 11:04 AM
BAIKONUR COSMODROME, Kazakhstan, March 14, 2008 – Khrunichev and International Launch Services regret to announce an anomaly during today's Proton mission with the AMC-14 satellite. (http://www.ilslaunch.com/news-031408/%3C/div%3E)

hugh
2008-03-15, 12:47 PM
So anybody know what impact it will have on the Dish Network?

scrooloose
2008-03-15, 12:51 PM
Isn't this facility supposed to launch Nimiq 4 also? If so, this could mean delays!

-Mike

Arthur C Clarke
2008-03-15, 05:55 PM
So does this mean Cheap Charlie gets his money back?
I don't suppose there any chance of getting it kicked into orbit?
If they used the station keeping thrusters, it might get to its' new home, but have a MUCH shortened life span.

jvincent
2008-03-15, 06:00 PM
Satellites are usually insured to account for this kind of thing.

I haven't read if they will try to boost it or make it come down in a controlled fashion.

peano
2008-03-15, 06:41 PM
So anybody know what impact it will have on the Dish Network?
It means the extra HD channels promised for this year will be delayed.

scrooloose
2008-03-15, 06:56 PM
AMC-14 is owned by SES Americom and was to be leased to Dish, so the financial loss is theirs. Even if they successfully boost it into the proper orbit, it will deplete most of the fuel and give it a much shorter life span. I would imagine SES Americom needs to get the full life for it to be profitable. My guess it will be scrapped so they can collect the insurance.

I sure hope things go better for Nimiq 4!

-Mike

peano
2008-03-16, 10:11 AM
This is the second failure of the Breeze-M stage in a few months. If Nimiq 4 is going up on the Proton with that stage, I'd be really worried. ILS will be out of action for months while they figure out what went wrong so delays are inevitable.

AMC-14 is in a highly elliptical orbit now and I doubt it will be realistic to use the moon and onboard fuel to move it. My guess is they scuttle it and collect the insurance.

i hate tv
2008-03-16, 10:40 AM
I haven't read if they will try to boost it or make it come down in a controlled fashion.

The US is hoping it will come down in a "controlled fashion" so they can do some more target practice
Borat Sagdiyev, head of the Kazakhstan Make Satellite To Space Center was quoted as saying "Gypsy is reason for satellite no work, don't worry, Nimiq 4 is go alright for make ExpressVu CRUSH evil cable companies with only most FULL HD's, HIGH FIVE"
Rumours are swirling that this may have been Borat's LAST launch...

peano
2008-03-16, 11:17 AM
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/proton/amc14/

videobruce
2008-03-18, 11:06 AM
That's what happens when you contract out to foreigners. Trying to save a buck doesn't work. Insurance or not, that only hurts everyone else.

jvincent
2008-03-18, 11:11 AM
I don't follow that satellite business that closely but are there even any North American options now?

AFAIK the Shuttle is fully booked for space station missions to the end of its service life and any satellites it launches are likely to be military.

That leaves the Europeans (Ariane) and the Russians.

hugh
2008-03-18, 11:11 AM
Thanks for that enlightened comment videobruce. Now can we get back to topic.

Q
2008-03-18, 11:27 AM
from the link peano posted.

ILS is the firm responsible for commercially marketing the Proton rocket to international customers. The U.S.-based company is jointly owned by Space Transport Inc. and Khrunichev, the Russian manufacturer of the Proton rocket and Breeze M upper stage.

now back on topic.

From the article I read they have two options. Let the satellite de-orbit and collect insurance. Try some type of lunar gravity slingshot to achieve geosynchronous orbit.

I don't understand how they can do a moon slingshot but thats why I am not a rocket scientist. I would think it would need a lot of fuel. Which if they have.....why not just move the extra few thousand miles needed?

scrooloose
2008-03-18, 12:07 PM
They have to use the on board fuel to move it, and that would decrease the lifespan of the satellite considerably. A better option for Dish customers, but not necessarily the best financial option. Personally I hope they try to save it. I might be a Dish customer some day!

-Mike

Donnybrook
2008-03-18, 12:42 PM
A better option for Dish customers

Not Dish's problem, they are only leasing transponders from SES. It's SES who has to come up with a new satellite after they receive the insurance settlement.

scrooloose
2008-03-18, 02:51 PM
I said saving it was better for Dish customers. It takes 4-5 years to get a new satellite in orbit starting from scratch. Better to have AMC-14 with only 5 years of life, than nothing at all.

-Mike

peano
2008-03-18, 08:23 PM
A better option for Dish customers, but not necessarily the best financial option. Personally I hope they try to save it. I might be a Dish customer some day!

-Mike

I really hope so too. ;)

Arthur C Clarke
2008-03-18, 09:09 PM
After Proton Anomaly, Inmarsat Postpones Launch
The launch anomaly involving the SES AMERICOM satellite during the weekend has led another satellite company to suspend its plans for utilizing the Russian-built Proton launch vehicle.

Late Friday, a Proton Breeze M rocket failed to deliver the AMC-14 satellite to its proper orbit. The Proton, which has encountered launch issues in the past, is promoted by International Launch Services.

Because of the anomaly, Inmarsat said it has suspended plans to ship its Inmarsat 4 satellite to the Proton launch site in Kazakhstan. "Inmarsat expects the launch scheduled for late April to be postponed pending an investigation of the launch failure by International Launch Services and the Russian State Commission," the London-based satellite company said in a statement.

DISH Network was set to lease capacity aboard the AMC-14 satellite from SES AMERICOM for an expansion of high-def programming. During the weekend, the company said it was waiting for more information before further assessing the situation involving the spacecraft.

Arthur C Clarke
2008-03-18, 09:10 PM
DIRECTV 11 Launch on Hold
Sea Launch, which is handling the flight of the DIRECTV 11 satellite, has put its mission on hold in an effort to study an unspecified issue, the launch services provider said on its Web site.

Testing aboard Sea Launch facilities in the equatorial Pacific was still in progress as of Monday. The next launch opportunity will be no earlier than Wednesday, the company said last night.

DIRECTV 11 is a 702-model spacecraft built by Boeing. The satellite, when combined with the DIRECTV 10 bird that launched in July, will provide the small dish company with capacity to support its efforts to deliver 150 national HD channels and 1,500 local high-def channels.